• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Electronics Design

Perry

Ultra Member
You can’t keep him but he’s yours till the police get there! I’ve always wondered about a pressure pad in front of the door wired to a horn or something to fire a nail gun blank. :):)

Lol , too funny. No need to be fast about calling the police. Just saying.

If I keep him do I have to feed him?

Next question.....how to secure a garage door so you can't "break out"? Asking for a friend.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Perry In my garage, I rebuilt the jam with a 4" long 4X4X3/8 angle iron on the door jamb.

On Bert's steel doors we bought commercial stainless wraps for the doors on the lock side. Requires a big bang to break into, like a sledge hammer.

Perry

Ultra Member
@Perry In my garage, I rebuilt the jam with a 4" long 4X4X3/8 angle iron on the door jamb.

On Bert's steel doors we bought commercial stainless wraps for the doors on the lock side. Requires a big bang to break into, like a sledge hammer.

Just looking those up now. Something like this I'm assuming?

https://www.amazon.ca/Prime-Line-MP...ocphy=9001343&hvtargid=pla-429939119249&psc=1

I will have to check to see how much space I have around the door when closed. The jam side is not flush and easy to just bolt a plate onto. I will need to figure something out.

A friend of mine has a bracket on either side of his door with a beam that pivots down into the brackets. One end of the beam pivots, the other end is attached to a cord that runs across the ceiling and outside and down from his eave. Hidden fairly well on the side of his garage. You would not look up and see it with the beam down. Knocking that door down would not happen.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've never bothered. The hinges are a vulnerability, but would still require sledge hammer type effort.

--- now for the bad news....

We have a law in Alberta the prevents extreme modifications on a legal basis. It is called something like the Alberta Fortified residences act, or similar. It was used to tear down the Hell's Angels clubhouse in Bowness, Calgary during construction.

If you fortify the door such as your front door such that a fire or police battering ram is resisted, you will lose your habitation permit and a court order will be issued to redress the door within only a few days.

The doors in question for the Hells Angels were the front and side doors, constructed to open only outwards, with steel jambs securely fastened to the structure. This stops home invasion, but also the fire department. oh the troubles!

The recommended door jamb reinforcement and wraparound doe not violate this law. Please be careful to not fortify it too much, or you could face legal jepoardy.

Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
I've never bothered. The hinges are a vulnerability, but would still require sledge hammer type effort.

--- now for the bad news....

We have a law in Alberta the prevents extreme modifications on a legal basis. It is called something like the Alberta Fortified residences act, or similar. It was used to tear down the Hell's Angels clubhouse in Bowness, Calgary during construction.

If you fortify the door such as your front door such that a fire or police battering ram is resisted, you will lose your habitation permit and a court order will be issued to redress the door within only a few days.

The doors in question for the Hells Angels were the front and side doors, constructed to open only outwards, with steel jambs securely fastened to the structure. This stops home invasion, but also the fire department. oh the troubles!

The recommended door jamb reinforcement and wraparound doe not violate this law. Please be careful to not fortify it too much, or you could face legal jepoardy.

Does this apply to a garage walk in door also? I could see it applying to a house.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think the legislation you guys are referring to is Part II (Fortified Buildings), S37 and S43 of the SAFER COMMUNITIES AND NEIGHBOURHOODS ACT (2007). For the record, it can be any building, not just a house. Also, even a house with window (security) bars can be included. But the building first has to be designated as such under S43, before any orders can be issued.

In Calgary the history of this legislation goes back as far as December 20, 1974 (nicknamed Black Friday) when Detective Boyd Davidson was killed by a man from a fortified position inside a garage in Ramsey. The police had to get special permission from Ottawa and brought in an armoured vehicle from the military to breach the building. There is still a park in south Calgary in his memory I believe. The article is here: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/calgary-black-friday-siege

Detective Boyd Davidson was my father-in-law's partner. Two calls came into the downtown precinct at the same time that day. My father-in-law took one call, Detective Davidson took the other. It was his last call ever. For those of you that remember the old Crown Surplus Military Store in Ramsey, the property where the tragedy occurred can be seen across the tracks from behind the store. It backed on to the unused triangle land sliver next to the railway tracks on an embankment.

It's one of those pieces of legislation rarely used unless the police are regular visitors to your property and you have gang affiliations. (This forum doesn't count). It is a bigger deal for fire department access in a house, and might be flagged by an inspector during renovations. But it would be rare. Technically window bars fall into the same category. There is a huge difference between someone strengthening their door jam and someone using plate steel on the entire door. If beefing up your garage door jam is what makes you feel better, I wouldn't lose sleep over the legislation. But I would also have an alarm system. As satisfying as it may be, booby traps of any type are asking for trouble. Expect a glitter bomb Amazon lawsuit to be in the news at some point.

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-- Booby traps are covered under federal legislation BTW.

The very best thing you can do for a door is to buy a Grade 70 or a Grade 90 steel door, and put a high quality lock on it. These are industrial doors intended to resist attack for 5 or more minutes. They are always sold with steel jams and tamper-proof hinges. Not cheap, but can be used in remote buildings quite successfully.

They are used on Compressor buildings for oil pipelines and remote buildings that have a long response time to inspect if the alarm goes off.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
--

The very best thing you can do for a door is to buy a Grade 70 or a Grade 90 steel door, and put a high quality lock on it...
They are used on Compressor buildings for oil pipelines ....
Sadly, there may be lots of these for sale these days. And lots of pipe as well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I really appreciate the link to the actual law involved - I read about a third of it before I ran out of time.

I once used a CoC buildings guidelines document on a renovation job to show why his door couldn't open outward. I'm used to deferring to the City on these matters.

There seems to be more finicky laws that anyone can comprehend these days. sigh.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well here when in the house the alarm tells me when the garage door opens.
For when I’m in the garage I bought a chime the sensor goes on the back door of the house and the chime is in the garage.