• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Electric motors

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Manage to score these two suckers for 50$ total (+ 12$ in fuel for the round trip...boo gas prices), a 3/4 and a 2hp c face 3450 motors, one even came with a new set of bearings

I've got a couple ideas already for how to put them to good use

View attachment 24773

Very nice score! Isn't it amazing that they physically similar but one is more than double the hp of the other!

And your ideas are......?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
First up is just a clean and new bearings for both, and one needs a keyway cut into it, then...

I was going to try the 3/4 on a 2x48 belt grinder (48 because of size), if that seems to be powerful enough I was thinking of building a 4x36 grinder with the 2

If the 3/4 seems underpowered on the 2x grinder I'll toss the 2hp on it and just squirrel Away the 3/4 for another day

They are both open motors, I think I will just put a piece of filter cloth over the inlet and maybe some kind of guard in front to keep the majority of dust out...if I kill them no big loss, I'll just keep an eye open for a cheap TEFC

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never enough motors!!
It seems that way or maybe it's more of a case of not having the right motor.. I have 5 on my shelf now varying from 1/3 ho to 2hp and in 110 and 220 volt but I can't think of why I need any of them but am wanting a 3 phase for a lathe conversion and a servo motor for a sewing machine.
Edit wow what a long, run on sentence, my grade school English/grammar teacher would be disappointed.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Wierd the 3/4hp motor had a larger output shaft bearing than the 2hp, one that I didn't have of course..

Key way is cut in the 2hp, maybe not the best way to cut the key way in, but meh...it'll work

IMG_20220703_110811_177.jpg