• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

El-Cheapo tail stock to go with my indexer

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've used a bandsaw for slits too. Its worth mounting a makeshift fence so you can stabilize the cut. If the piece is irregular you can mount it to scrap like even a piece of plywood & use that edge along the fence. The bandsaw kerf width is you get what you get. Also wear gloves if you are hand feeding because a) things can get hot b) those chips can get into your skin.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
After having my mill down for a good week and a half due to a toasted gear, I finally got my RT tail/foot stock project back on track.

TAILSTOCK1.JPG

Using my band saw in the vertical to cut the pinch slot went well. I was surprised how much pressure I had to exert on the work piece in order to get the cut to progress. In any event I still have all my fingers which is good.

Now I'm appreciating why John made his dead center carrier out of aluminum.

TAILSTOCK2.JPG

The pinch slot has no effect. If I put a snipe on that key I'll be pulling my vise off the bench. That or break something.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ran into a similar issue on a clamping part. Metal is surprising strong, go figure. I've noticed commercial parts either have
- a stress relief hole (which thins the metal near the hinge point)
- they orient the slit to accomplish the same
- an opposing slit, leaving some magic amount of metal so it doesn't crack

Superimposed on your part might look something like this, although I wouldn't muck up your part without some experimenting on scrap.

Attachments

• 2019-04-27_18-27-24.jpg
    2019-04-27_18-27-24.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2019-04-27_18-28-51.jpg
    2019-04-27_18-28-51.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2019-04-27_18-34-27.jpg
    2019-04-27_18-34-27.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
oooooops. This ain't gonna work.

TAILSTOCK3.JPG

Guess I'll have to make a mounting plate for the RT. Best do that before deciding how high to make the tail/foot stock mount.

Will the fun ever end:)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
A few days off and a blizzard, how opportune is that! Finally got her done.

TAILSTOCK4.JPG

TAILSTOCK5.JPG

TAILSTOCK6.JPG

TAILSTOCK7.JPG

Looks like something concocted in Bubba's garage LOL.

The stand is just high enough (and a smidge more) for my RT. I'll probably re-do it with a larger piece of angle iron some day. The pinch bolt has no effect. Part of that problem is the fact that the bolt I'm using is threaded to the head and the head threads are engaging the non-threaded hole (drill it bigger or get a bolt with a non-threaded head shank?). In any event I tried squishing the dead center carrier in my vise with no effect so it's obvious some sort of relief slot or hole is in order.

I keep looking at this RT and thinking lathe indexer...…. How to couple the two?

Last edited: