eccentric plastic work holding

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I am making some vise speed handles and I wanted a simpler way to hold down the sheet stock to my fixture plate.

So I made one eccentric aluminium clamp thing and then decided to 3d print the rest. There is a lip to prevent lifting up of the stock on the fixture plate. You turn it until the base contacts the stock - then lock down the bolt. I wonder if it will work?

1699415704660.png
1699416100827.png
1699415740667.png IMG_4266.jpeg

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I see you have a step on the outside of the eccentric cams. Would a taper work? So the cam pushes in and down at the same time?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I see you have a step on the outside of the eccentric cams. Would a taper work? So the cam pushes in and down at the same time?
A taper would have a lot less contact area. It would then work with different thicknesses of stock. I think the plastic ones would tend to break or get cut up but maybe if they were made of aluminum.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
MiteeBite is a good company to harvest clamping ideas. I use the smallest size (8-32) low profile eccentric fixture clamps which are edge clamping so you can machine the upper surface when that is required. But to get the lateral clamping force, the eccentric action is relatively short, which means you need a reduced grid of tapped holes for a general purpose tooling plate and or other creative backing ideas.
For CNC routing & light milling, you might want to look at shop made vacuum holding.