• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dro for pdm30

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
A DRO can always be added. The off-shore kits are generic and need local engineering to install but they can be easily installed.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
i have one of the ali express 3 axis ones ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021665603.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dwryJFJ ), i believe it cost 260 to my door

overall its good, makes the mill quite a bit easier to use, adds some cool functions like bolt circles and whatnot....i keep the manual handy for said cool functions

.....and it make the mill look all 1980's cool....so thats gotta be worth something

its a bit of a project to install, some drilling and tapping into the machine, a bit of figuring and planning here and there, but well worth it imo....i would do it again for sure.......that and the power feed, cranking that x axis gets old real fast

Blouin55

Michel
i have one of the ali express 3 axis ones ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33021665603.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dwryJFJ ), i believe it cost 260 to my door

overall its good, makes the mill quite a bit easier to use, adds some cool functions like bolt circles and whatnot....i keep the manual handy for said cool functions

.....and it make the mill look all 1980's cool....so thats gotta be worth something

its a bit of a project to install, some drilling and tapping into the machine, a bit of figuring and planning here and there, but well worth it imo....i would do it again for sure.......that and the power feed, cranking that x axis gets old real fast

Looks nice...
First i'll have to work as it is for the next few months (i 'll get the machine in march only), after i'll surely buy one of those.
Already had a look for the power feed on Vevor site.
Thanks

Six O Two

(Marco)
I had put an inexpensive iGaging 2-axis DRO on my RF30 when I still had it, but I only put it on just before I sold the thing, so I didn't get the chance to use it that much...

keGibyV.jpg

Six O Two

(Marco)
@historicalarms reported that IGaging DROs didn't work well on his RF30 clone. Couldn't handle the vibration.

Huh, interesting. It worked fine for me, but like I said - not a long term test. I suppose the sort of work being done and the quality of the machine would play into the amount of vibration as well. Although if I were to do it again today with pricing being what it is, I'd probably go with a chinese ebay/aliexpress DRO kit.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Huh, interesting. It worked fine for me, but like I said - not a long term test. I suppose the sort of work being done and the quality of the machine would play into the amount of vibration as well. Although if I were to do it again today with pricing being what it is, I'd probably go with a chinese ebay/aliexpress DRO kit.

This was quite some time ago, IGaging may have improved since then. I had IGaging DROs on my lathe and they worked ok for that. But, Ya for the price just get a full feature 3 axis chinese DRO kit.

Blouin55

Michel

Theere are different lenghts for the dro...i try to get the page but not available.
Could you please give me some more info about the model you get, could be very helpfull.
Thanks

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Theere are different lenghts for the dro...i try to get the page but not available.
Could you please give me some more info about the model you get, could be very helpfull.
Thanks
Yea I just checked the link, and then checked the seller's store, that perticular model doesn't seem to be available any more. All of the 3 axis dro's are pretty much the same other than the display, pick whichever you like the most I guess

When you actually order the dro the seller will.message you about what lengths you need, make sure you measure your machine, the king literature is incorrect...ask me how I know....once you supply them with the lengths you require they will package it all up and put it on the slow boat

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yea I just checked the link, and then checked the seller's store, that perticular model doesn't seem to be available any more. All of the 3 axis dro's are pretty much the same other than the display, pick whichever you like the most I guess

When you actually order the dro the seller will.message you about what lengths you need, make sure you measure your machine, the king literature is incorrect...ask me how I know....once you supply them with the lengths you require they will package it all up and put it on the slow boat

Or, if you find one with free FedEx Shipping, it hits an airplane and it's here in two weeks.

Blouin55

Michel

I'm just looking for what are the measurements required.

Blouin55

Michel

Yes i want to know how to measure the lenghts (travel).

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Yes i want to know how to measure the lenghts.
Crank your x travel all the way one way, make a sharpie mark accross the split where table moves and the base doesn't, crank the x travel all the way the other way.....measure the distance between the sharpie marks, repete similar technique for the y and z