Tool DRO fitted.

Tool

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
I made a couple of small sensor brackets out of 2mm ally today, fitted one at the front under an ally U chanel. The other bracket and sensor is fitted on the cross slide and the magnetic strip stuck on the base of the mill. If swarf presents a problem its a minor job to fabricate a guard over the top.. I also made a bracket to fit the readout and fitted it under the main control box.

The stick on strips are printed 3m, but I doubt very much they are, Chinese manufacturers aren't known for their honesty.

I assumed the sensor would have to be in contact with the stainless strip stuck on top of the magnetic strip. But no, it works with up to a 3-5 mm gap.

The sensor leads are about 3m long miles too long for this little machine, so I'll have to fab some sort of rail to tie them to so,they don't get pulled around when cleaning up.

It appears to work great, so I'll order another for the lathe. I'll get the .01mm linear scale for the lathe, that's where I need the accuracy, I'll have to figure out a way of protecting the leads, the leads got damaged on the last DRO I had on the lathe.

Attachments

• WIN_20240411_10_55_53_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240411_10_55_53_Pro.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 11
  • WIN_20240411_15_39_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240411_15_39_19_Pro.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 12
  • WIN_20240411_16_10_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240411_16_10_23_Pro.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 12
  • WIN_20240411_10_56_07_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240411_10_56_07_Pro.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 11
  • WIN_20240411_16_10_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20240411_16_10_35_Pro.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 11

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Nice install.
Where did you get the OPTIMUM mill ?
Last time I saw one was at a ‘K’ Show in Düsseldorf in 2012.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
My 2nd cousin has a gardening centre in Cairns.
I was able to fly a Cessna 172 over the Great Barrier in 1994.

How are things out in Western Australia ?
Where did you get the machining bug ?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Goofy but successfull idea for cable protection: metal flexible hose from a hand shower. Very floppy, won’t kink, cheap. Only tricky bit is sometimes the connectors need to be futzed around with the to be able to snake the cable through the hose. Hose ends are 1/2” NPT so can be anchored using pipe fittings.

IMG_7197.jpeg

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
My 2nd cousin has a gardening centre in Cairns.
I was able to fly a Cessna 172 over the Great Barrier in 1994.

How are things out in Western Australia ?
Where did you get the machining bug ?
I'm actually a sandgroper, lived my first 25 years in Perth. I left in 75 and spent the next 25 years moving around Oz and overseas, moved back to Perth in 2000 when I retired but moved back East again six years later. We live in Adelaide now. My wife and I flew to Perth a few months ago for a bit of a holiday and for me to revisit my roots. Big dollars at work over there from mining. I miss my Perth but my Perth is long gone, the home town magnet pulls me back every now and again.

I've been making stuff since the mid 60s, bought my first lathe in the mid 90s. I guess I just enjoy learning new cussing words.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Goofy but successfull idea for cable protection: metal flexible hose from a hand shower. Very floppy, won’t kink, cheap. Only tricky bit is sometimes the connectors need to be futzed around with the to be able to snake the cable through the hose. Hose ends are 1/2” NPT so can be anchored using pipe fittings.

View attachment 46553
Good tip, I was thinking of using the cheap flexible coolant hose, but this look better.

My tip for you: I have a couple of these flexible coolant hoses on my lathe, but they leak after a while, so I thread 5mm plastic hose through them, which renders the tap at the base useless, and fix a small retic taps at the end. Works a treat no more leaks and the tap is at the tip, where you need it.
s-l1600.jpg

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
The stick on strips are printed 3m, but I doubt very much they are
I'm having the same doubt. The line of tape I applied to my cross-slide is coming away after about 6 months. A mess, frankly. I'm considering milling a shallow channel on the edge of the cross slide to accept the next piece and sort out some recessed cap screws to hold it captive at it's edges.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm having the same doubt. The line of tape I applied to my cross-slide is coming away after about 6 months. A mess, frankly. I'm considering milling a shallow channel on the edge of the cross slide to accept the next piece and sort out some recessed cap screws to hold it captive at it's edges.

I haven't gotten to my lathe dro yet. What are you guys on about here? You have me worried.

I bought some 3M double sided tape and used it to test fit the scales on my mill. That was a mistake. It was almost impossible to get it off!