• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

DRO Digital Read Out installation videos

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I've been watching turnwright working on a DRO install which has helped me visuallize how to install my DRO. It just happens to be the same brand - shooting star - as the one I have. See videos five six and seven of his series on restoring a lathe. If you are installing a DRO you may find this helpful.

trlvn

Ultra Member
@Janger I've got a Shooting Star DRO on my mill and I re-did the X and Z axis installations. The notes in the manual basically say that the rack and encoder head need to be aligned within 0.005" in 2 directions...which I found was darn hard to achieve over the length of the rack since the parts were being mounted to rough castings.

The other 'trick' in my install was that the passage for the rack through the encoder head was NOT parallel to the body of the encoder!?! Again, the notes say this but it didn't really register with me until late in the process. On my mill, the Z encoder is right in front of my face and visually appears to be cocked to one side. I had to enlarge the mounting slots on the brackets I made in order to get the parts installed without binding.

Another minor item: the racks are made of steel and even though they have been in the accordion-tube stuff for their life, there was some amount of corrosion on the teeth. I think this was making the encoder miscount the position sometimes. I used a fine brass brush to clean off the accumulated corrosion and then applied a thin film lubricant (Top Coat) to try to prevent this from recurring.

At the end, I'm pretty happy with the DRO. I do think it can sometimes lose a thou or three on a long, high-speed traverse. I've been meaning to do some tests but never got around to it.

BTW, there are snapshots of the old Shooting Star web site on Archive.org:

HTH

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow @trlvn , reading your note makes me glad I got a Ditron. My read head gap can vary and so can the alignment and it seems to work just fine. It's easily repeatable to a tenth, and as far as I can tell it's accurate too. Matches the dials and a 12" vernier to a thou and matches a 24" scale as close as I can discern with my eye. I don't have a standard of any kind to test longer distances. I should prolly try to buy one.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Shooting Star (a Canadian company) came out when big boy industrial DRO's cost about s much as the average hobby machine itself & were generally quite bulky glass scales more challenging to integrate on smaller machines. I installed a Shooting Star on my prior RF-45 mill & happily used it for years. I was a bit suspicious of the steel rack but it seemed to work. The beauty is you just cut it off to length with a hacksaw. I never had any issues with the encoders & service was good.

But roll time forward, these days for a new machine DRO installation, there better Chinese DRO options out there now. The world has shifted. But don't toss the Shooting Star if its still working. It could see use in other homebrew devices or whatever.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was going to ask if you contacted them directly, then I read this. How unfortunate. I was hanging onto a cutoff, but I'm 99% sure I packaged it with my RF-45 when I sold it years ago.

trlvn

Ultra Member
anyone know where I can find some scales for my shooting star bt-3
I got a replacement from Shooting Star before they closed. I have a small section that I replaced (10 inches?) that you can have if you want.

I would assume that they didn't design the product from the ground up but I don't know where one would find the component parts. There is a very good chance that the scales and readers are now obsolete since other products now dominate the market.

Sorry,

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I got my first mill I contacted Bill and spoke at length with him several times. He was a very kind and patient man.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Foggy memory, but when I spoke with proprietor (must have been Bill) many years ago, I'm pretty sure he said the teeth cutting on the rods were custom made to his specs/requirements, they were not an of the shelf item he adapted the encoders to.

gengen

I got a replacement from Shooting Star before they closed. I have a small section that I replaced (10 inches?) that you can have if you want.

I would assume that they didn't design the product from the ground up but I don't know where one would find the component parts. There is a very good chance that the scales and readers are now obsolete since other products now dominate the market.

Sorry,

Craig
I would pay you for it plus shipping. I would appreciate it. Thanks