• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

DRO Axis

Richard G

This question is going to highlight the newbie that I am but here goes! Is there a proper direction to install a DRO on the Y axis of a mill. I am thinking the reading should rise as I bring the table towards the machine (forward) and vise-versa if you look at it as a Cartesian graph layout.
But when you are cutting (milling) with the machine, bringing the table towards the operator causes the machining processes to be up the Y axis of a Cartesian plan.
Same goes for the X axis... moving the table right moves the machining processes left and vise versa.
How does a factory DRO work?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It's not a newbie question. You can do what you want, but I was told that it's best to make your DRO do the same thing that your crank handle scales do. The CNC folks might not agree with that but it's hard to argue with your own hardware.

When I worked with manual machining I never gave positive or negative axis much though it was a number in the direction I knew needed to go based on what I was machining.

Now that I gone CNC the direction of movement becomes important as you need to tell the machine where to go.

If you have a gantry system number directions and + & - match, however when you have a table moving direction and the + & - are opposite of what would make sense but it reflects direct on the object being machined.

So the + & - for DRO's are what you need to decide on what works for you, if you are thinking of
CNC you need to go the right track or it will mess you up later.

I'm still getting used to this concept after a year.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
How does a factory DRO work?

I just realized I didn't really answer the question you asked.

Factory DROs and aftermarket DROs are all user configurable to go whichever way you want.

Again, for my purposes, I like my dials and my DRO to both go up or down at the same time. It's too confusing if they are different.

Richard G

Thanks for the info guys, I have it installed and working, just some finishing touches to do!
When the reading on the feeds increase so do the readouts.

Attachments

• 20230206_164127.jpg
    20230206_164127.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230206_163910.jpg
    20230206_163910.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 12