Drilling and Milling Machine Force International FRV30-ZX7550 Edmonton

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
That's the same model as mine. Grizzly called it the G3616. The price over 10 years ago was 3200 based on my invoice. Add the movable base they installed and it's literally going for cost.
The thing to notice is that the table can be rotated for doing helical gears or angled cuts held in the vise. But you also lose about 3" of possible depth for any other mill that size. The next model up from house of tools was like the G3617 (also discontinued at Grizzly) had a longer table and longer top frame and of coarse the horizontal motor/spindle stuff.
Oh and for the one with horizontal which sold for about $3995 in 2006, Grizzly's equivalent is now $8995 US or about $12000 Cdn. That would make one like this about $10K new.

Finhead

Contacted the seller, it's a R8 collet so that is a plus. If I can manage to get off work before 9 anytime this week I'm going to have a look at it, if it's still around. Would be a nice upgrade from the RF45 I'd imagine.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Yes. I really like mine. The ACME nuts on the lead screws are not the best and non-adjustable. Something you can't see very well. The House Of Tools manual sucks but I have the Grizzly ones if you decide to buy. Mine is full CNC now. Once I get the power draw bar done (project #42) I'll swap in ball screws.

Finhead

Yes. I really like mine. The ACME nuts on the lead screws are not the best and non-adjustable. Something you can't see very well. The House Of Tools manual sucks but I have the Grizzly ones if you decide to buy. Mine is full CNC now. Once I get the power draw bar done (project #42) I'll swap in ball screws.
Thanks would be helpful, and yeah the acme nut on the RF45 isn't awesome. But it doesn't really matter as long as I remember to go past and back to take out the backlash. lol I'm just a hobby guy so manual is fun for me, have a CNC router that does what I need it to. This is probably overkill for what I do anyway but it's a great price if it's actually hardly been used.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
$3,500

2fba71c6-b79f-4131-89c7-1d99a214e8c2

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So far, even with the stepper motor drive (slow) and then the AC Servo (fast) I've not yet had problems. I did change the horizontal support for the bevel gears to ball bearings and adjusted the backlash on the bevel gears. I oil it a lot.
Here's the ACME rendition of the knee screw.
KneeACMEScrew.jpg

I would replace the top cap (actually the whole assembly so it will fit) with this ball screw assembly. Now the pulley turns the ball nut and the ball screw is fixed to the knee. The motor sits vertically and the toothed belt connects the two giving me both the reduction and no backlash in this drive assembly.
KneeBallScrew.jpg
The Pulley turns the blue hub which sits on the two angular contact bearings.
My project #42 for this. Might still be some changes. I drew this a few years ago.