• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-AB Drill rod/Silver steel Calgary

Alberta
Type
Metal

Bandit

Super User
Needed some 5/8in. drill rod, stopped in at "Blackfoot Industrial Centre" on Tuesday. They have a decent selection in both imperial and metric diameters. Water hardening "W" was what I got, I think it may all have been, not sure. $49.00 all in.(36 in. Stick). Good/bad?? Anyway they had some, I needed some for a project and I wasn't driving all over Calgary.
Looks like I should be able to make the Calgary meet up, and most likely be bringing some "M"? type drill rod with me. So far, 5/8in. X30in., appears at least 1-3/8" x 34in., others not sure yet, as need to check if can be "hardened". What I get for not checking when brought. " The difference between 1500 degrees and 2200 degrees". Oh well one small project "scrapped" and being redone!
Living and Learning only costs money!

Tecnico

(Dave)
Interesting. I had read that it was the UK name for a grade of steel that is much nicer to machine/better finish than typical cold rolled steel.

I've seen it called up in the Harold Hall books.

D :cool:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
I didn't see if it went into different classes for hardening. Water hardening - W type, O type - oil hardening, A type - air hardening, M type - ?, I believe oil hardening, just a dam high temputures needed before the quinch, 2200+/- degrees F needed, where as W type, 1450+/- degrees F. Doable with a propane hand torch, project size dependent. Some of the different types in each class are/can vary as to temputures needed to harden.
I would like to try some air hardening one day, as the temputure range seems? to be fairly wide over some of the types in this class. Have to study up more on them.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To your question, KBC sells 5/8 W-1 for $25.00

O1 for $39.31

But need to factor shipping cost vs your driving around. It comes in a heavy cardboard tube so consider getting other sizes, shipping cost will be much the same.

Bandit

Super User
Thanks, all good to know, my last KBC catalog is more then 20 years old. I am nearly in Leth. more then Calgary, still learning where outfits are and what they have. It appears Lethbridge Fastenal has closed it doors to walk ins, maybe all of them? To bad, as they always seemed to have bolts/screws I needed or could get them fast.
I always try to be getting/doing more then one thing when I go to the" big" city's, some days, no way I will go to Calgary, can't handle it!

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I always try to be getting/doing more then one thing when I go to the" big" city's, some days, no way I will go to Calgary, can't handle it!

Just thank the God's you don't live near the Greater Toronto Area. 100x worse than Calgary. I get hives just thinking about driving around that place.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
It appears Lethbridge Fastenal has closed it doors to walk ins...
Yes. Few years back. They're after the commercial accounts. No more messing w/ nickle & dime stuff. Bigger returns, less work. Gregg Distributors is just west of them on 5th Avenue North. Bolt Supply is on 14 Ave N & if you're really into self-abuse, Leth Fasteners is just down the street from them. Dennis' Boltworx is out in Coaldale.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
my last KBC catalog is more then 20 years old.
Best to use the online catalog anyway for current prices. I dare say a lot of items will have been discontinued or replaced since then.
The website is not the most fun to navigate & search but everything is there somewhere. Just be aware of the shipping cost. And make sure you land on the dot CA site not the dot COM site if you are Googling

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Quest Industrial in Calgary stocks W-1 drill rod. If I'm going to harden it, I prefer O-1 (oil hardening).
I have read that A-2 warps less when hardened but any time I've looked, its considerably more expensive.