• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Drill doctor

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Canadatire has their drill doctor on for ½ price
Product #054-3844-6
I don’t use one but some people like them.

yycwelder

I've tried using one a few times but I'm not sure why but it never seems to sharpen it quite right. Probably operator error but I followed the instruction manual and it always seems to over sharpen the cutting lip and leave too much heel so that it ends up riding on the heel and not cutting properly. I prefer to sharpen by hand ever since I was taught in a machine shop I worked at many years ago. Takes some practice but once you get it you've got it for life. My 2 cents.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I do mine by hand as well but I’ve never been a stickler for accuracy. I probably should take my bigger bits to a pro though. It’s hard to get them cutting evenly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom O

Ultra Member
I dread sharpening drills it’s like getting the password on Jurassic Park “ ugh, ugh, ugh.”

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I do mine by hand as well but I’ve never been a stickler for accuracy. I probably should take my bigger bits to a pro though. It’s hard to get them cutting evenly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do have a drill doctor I use but I have ground them by hand but always had more difficulty with the small bits because it's harder to see the edges. Best solution I have found is take my bits to my brother who has a a proper end mill grinding set up LOL!

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Ah I see the port on the video here -
It was invisible on the Canadian Tire advert.

They don't sell that model on Amazon.