Drill bits

A while back a fella dropped by the shop I was working at and mentioned that he had some drill bits that he wanted to get rid of.....
20231110_190124.jpg
I haven't gone through them yet, but for $100 I am a pretty happy boy......:cool:
Some of them are pretty rusty, but the majority are serviceable as is.

I worked briefly, as a kid in a machine/truck shop sweeping floors. The "old" to me at the time machinist was determined that I needed a new skill and regularly gave me a can of dull bits to practice on..... He was right, it was a good skill to pick up on.
On, I think the only major (to me, anyways) machinist tool buy where the owner of the tools was still alive to talk to, I got this little "scratching post" that he made for checking that the cutting edges were the same length from the tang on the larger bits.
20231111_071036.jpg
20231111_071050.jpg
I'm not sure if I would have figured out what it was for if I hadn't been able to talk to him....
So far it looks like they are all metric morse 1 and 2 tapers, but I am still only scratching the surface.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I like that scratching post idea. I've never seen that before. Handy but only tells one part of the tale. Used in conjunction with a drill gauge would be a great way to re calibrate yourself from time to time. I'm going to stick one on the quick and dirty project list for next time I'm out in the garage wandering aimlessly looking for something to do.

Hand sharpening drills is a great skill to have.

Ironman

Ultra Member
The scratching post isn't only for cats...nice. I would hang onto that metric stuff. Hard to find in a supposedly metric country.. You won't wear them out for sure, but when you need one, they are way better than "getting close" by inch drills.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not sure if I would have figured out what it was for if I hadn't been able to talk to him....
So far it looks like they are all metric morse 1 and 2 tapers, but I am still only scratching the surface.....

Beautiful.

I still can't hand grind a drill worth crap.

I bought a Drill Doctor 20 years ago. It is well used, but nothing beats a new drill bit from my local jobber.

The scratching post isn't only for cats...nice. I would hang onto that metric stuff. Hard to find in a supposedly metric country.. You won't wear them out for sure, but when you need one, they are way better than "getting close" by inch drills.
I'm going to go through them and hand select as complete a set as I can, plus plenty of spares and then see what you guys have to trade...... :rolleyes:

I like that scratching post idea. I've never seen that before. Handy but only tells one part of the tale. Used in conjunction with a drill gauge would be a great way to re calibrate yourself from time to time. I'm going to stick one on the quick and dirty project list for next time I'm out in the garage wandering aimlessly looking for something to do.

Hand sharpening drills is a great skill to have.
Yes, you still need a drill gauge, but it is hard to get both lips on the same plane with just a gauge. I just thought this was too slick of an idea not to share with those I like....... As to the rest of ya, well, you're not members here anyway, so screw ya.....:p