Drill bit stand -Not Made any More??

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
For years, I've kept my common drill bit collection near my bench in plastic drill bit stands made by General USA.
Here's a picture of a knockoff of the fractional version:
drill bit stand.jpg

I have fractional, number and metric versions. They work really well - molded recesses for each size drill and each size is marked (in a contrasting colour!) with molded raised numbers. If you've ever used a stand like this you won't be happy with a metal '2-tier' stand which requires threading the drill through two holes.

It's one of those items that seemed so practical (and cheap) that I assumed I easily could find another one to accommodate my increasing drill collection (for brass vs steel, for example).

I'll save you the geezer rant about disappearing buggy whips, but....apparently these aren't available any more, at least in metric.

For $20-$40 I can find molded stands without labels or with labels in helpful black-on-black or orange-on-orange printing. Not what I want.

Does anybody know a source for stands like these, in metric? (BusyBee has the fractional knockoff).

Thanks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
KBC sells Huot which are not bad. But their min shipping cost just expensive so not good for small $ items. I bought a cheesy metric knockoff for some spares that wasn't worth the expense, the holes were very tight on the drills.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A 3d printed one could be an option.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
KBC sells Huot which are not bad. But their min shipping cost just expensive so not good for small $ items. I bought a cheesy metric knockoff for some spares that wasn't worth the expense, the holes were very tight on the drills.
Thanks for the suggestion. My impression about KBC :High prices and high shipping, but popular. $50+ for layout fluid...I don't think so.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I bought a fractional Inch drill rack at BB two days ago for $3.99.
No metric racks were available.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Drill points up or down? I was taught points down, takes less time to sharpen a drill bit than it takes to stop the bleeding and get a bandaid when you spear the end of your finger on a sharp 1/16” bit.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Do you have an empty transfer punch stand kicking around? The only metric ones I've seen are the three tiered tin ones, the fractional stands can be plastic or tin.

Chip Maker

Super User
There's a couple on Ebay that are plastic and very pricey. One in Australia and one in UK. Shipping is not cheap as well. Metric being the common in Europe would be good place to look.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Thanks for the suggestions; I appreciate them.

How do you folks keep your shop drills 'ready to use' ?

Again, my criteria -completely fulfilled by the GENERAL metric drill stand I bought 30+ (?) years ago for a few dollars:
-Reasonable cost - $15 max
-Molded holes for drills - not a multi-level metal frame with holes
-Clear (contrasting colour) labels on each hole
Like this - I shoulda bought two of them! :)
mini-IMG_0665.JPG

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
I use a piece of Madagascar dark rosewood , drilled , sanded and varnished ...............................
That would be no probem for me, but how to get the contrasting colour labels?
A 10k laser etching system or a CNC router would do it...then fill with white paint?
:)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
If you can't find one to purchase, I think 3D Printed is your best option.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I don't have a printer, and there's a learning curve which I don't want to bother with (I'd rather make stuff not computer drawings of stuff..)
I know what I charge as a minimum to do 'hobby jobs', and I'd expect the same from a 3D printer owner.
I'll probably stack up some plexi and just drill my own. Stick on labels or print a sheet and sandwich it between the top plexi layers.
I guess I'm in a real minority with my preferences - I can't stand fiddling with those metal drill indexes, and I like to have commonly used drill bits on the shelf.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I use a piece of Madagascar dark rosewood , drilled , sanded and varnished ..............

I like this. When I get my DRO working so I can drill spaced holes easily, I think I'll make one out of black Walnut. Lots of that in the forest beside the house.

I'll be watching the rest of this thread for ways to do the labelling.