• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Doxford Engine Plant

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Or hearing protection!

The article didn't seem to mention it, so I googled and found the yard closed around 1990.

trlvn

Ultra Member
OMG:

planingjointflangebedplate-jpg.679601

That's a metal planer!

Craig

terry_g

Ultra Member
The cleaning crew that came in after the shift was over would have their work cut out for them.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
We don't need no stinking PPE, do we Bob?

Bob?

Bob????

Hey, anyone seen Bob?
I’m confused why long sleeves or pants is now PPE, what the heck is wrong with shorts in July? Don’t get me started with chinstraps on hard hats :mad:

Sure fine some of the rules make sense we both know because Bob was dumb now we all suffer

I miss Bob

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Really glad now that I was never part of the "cool" gang at school. It meant I never felt any pressure to do stuff without PPE. When I look back at all the nasty machines I have worked on or dangerous tools I use, I'm grateful I still have all my digits, eyeballs, etc. I'm not perfect (I still use gloves on sanders and grinders), but all in all I never regret the lessons learned. I do know others missing fingers and eyes though.

When I was in metal shop in middle school, you would be beaten within an inch of your life if you got close to a lathe with long sleeves on—or even for walking into class wearing them.

Times have changed for sure. Wearing a mask during Covid was a walk in the park for me.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Really glad now that I was never part of the "cool" gang at school. It meant I never felt any pressure to do stuff without PPE. When I look back at all the nasty machines I have worked on or dangerous tools I use, I'm grateful I still have all my digits, eyeballs, etc. I'm not perfect (I still use gloves on sanders and grinders), but all in all I never regret the lessons learned. I do know others missing fingers and eyes though.

When I was in metal shop in middle school, you would be beaten within an inch of your life if you got close to a lathe with long sleeves on—or even for walking into class wearing them.

Times have changed for sure. Wearing a mask during Covid was a walk in the park for me.
Yes habits are very hard to break, especially hard ones. I know I do far too much stuff without proper PPE often times because it's a habit. I do have a few good habits tho....I often will find I'm wearing my seat belt when I'm getting in and out of the truck when out putting through the field shooting gophers and I never recall buckling up.

gerritv

Gerrit
Yes, the usual observations. You might however consider if those shots were posed, there are no chip or swarf (in the photos I looked at), let alone any hint that machines were even turning.

Gerrit