• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Does size matter? Grinder Size Showdown!

Tool

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
At least when it comes to grinders...it's actually a bit of an interesting result:

I know it's not Tuesday, so technically not a Tool Test Tuesday video, but this is one I've wanted to do (and have been promising) for a while as I've never seen anyone comparing such different grinders against each other. Not exactly the results I expected, somewhat, but power has a bigger impact than wheel size from what I saw. The DWE4597 7" grinder is an absolute beast :)

Though, funny, the littlest/slowest grinder in this test is the one I use the most...reason being? It's easier to control and get a nice clean grind with.

Let me know what you think, what do you guys all use for grinders?

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That was a good run down on grinders. I haven't used flap wheels yet, guess i should get some. I like a 4.5" cordless grinder for outside work, have the same grinders with cords for in the shop. I had a 7" grinder years ago, to damn heavy and big for a lot of what i do, use a couple of pedestal grinders for heavy duty stuff, one has a 1hp motor and 10" wheels.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice test set-up for a level playing field comparison. I've been thinking about getting a battery grinder. The DCG 414 (60 volt) sounds good. I have a 7" Dewalt - yep a beast, gets little use but when needed it can really dig in.
I have a couple of Metabo corded. Bit more expensive but really good grinders. One is a soft start and variable speed which is an awesome combo for great control and it's my go-to grinder.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Nice test set-up for a level playing field comparison. I've been thinking about getting a battery grinder. The DCG 414 (60 volt) sounds good. I have a 7" Dewalt - yep a beast, gets little use but when needed it can really dig in.
I have a couple of Metabo corded. Bit more expensive but really good grinders. One is a soft start and variable speed which is an awesome combo for great control and it's my go-to grinder.
The DCG414 I believe has been superseded by the DCG418, which is the same grinder with even a bit more power (they claim 30%). I wasn't able to get my hands on the new one for the test.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
My first grinder was a 6" black and decker, back when they made em out of metal. Now I use a 4.5" almost all the time. Easier to handle and still fairly aggressive metal removal.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I find the sweet spot for grinders are any of brand 6", they outperform a 7" all day for grinding or zip cutting (6" spins a higher rpm, and 6" zip discs are thinner)

Quality of disc makes a big difference..3m makes a really good grinding disc and zip cut

For sanding, a 4.5 with a backing pad and 5" sanding disc.....really guys, ditch those expensive flapper discs and go buy a sanding disc backer and some 5" carbide or zirconia discs/papers/pads....that is the way to go, cheaper, they don't gouge the material and you can get them down to 24 grit

I don't know anyone in industry that uses the flappers unless it's a very specific only a flapper will do situation

Try it, I promise you won't go back to flap discs ever again

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I find the sweet spot for grinders are any of brand 6", they outperform a 7" all day for grinding or zip cutting (6" spins a higher rpm, and 6" zip discs are thinner)

Quality of disc makes a big difference..3m makes a really good grinding disc and zip cut

For sanding, a 4.5 with a backing pad and 5" sanding disc.....really guys, ditch those expensive flapper discs and go buy a sanding disc backer and some 5" carbide or zirconia discs/papers/pads....that is the way to go, cheaper, they don't gouge the material and you can get them down to 24 grit

I don't know anyone in industry that uses the flappers unless it's a very specific only a flapper will do situation

Try it, I promise you won't go back to flap discs ever again

I've got flap discs to last me the next 10 years now...I go through only a few per year with the amount of grinding I do. If you aren't a production shop, one flap disc goes a long way.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey I wasn't trying to offend, you asked for comments

That's great if you have a bunch of free flappers, if you want to stick with them by all means.

I was trying to enlighten some of on existence of the sanding pad in a bit of a joking way, most hobbyist don't know they even exist.....and they are far superior to flappers, in every way, they work faster, provide a nicer finish, don't gouge the material like flappers tend to, are available in a much wider grit assortment and are typically cheaper (who doesn't want to save some bucks?), Being a 'production shop' has nothing to do with it....(I do not work in a production environment)

I was hoping to help add to your thread, not offend

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Hey I wasn't trying to offend, you asked for comments

That's great if you have a bunch of free flappers, if you want to stick with them by all means.

I was trying to enlighten some of on existence of the sanding pad in a bit of a joking way, most hobbyist don't know they even exist.....and they are far superior to flappers, in every way, they work faster, provide a nicer finish, don't gouge the material like flappers tend to, are available in a much wider grit assortment and are typically cheaper (who doesn't want to save some bucks?), Being a 'production shop' has nothing to do with it....(I do not work in a production environment)

I was hoping to help add to your thread, not offend
Not offended at all. Just other than cost I haven't seen the other benefits, never any issues with flap discs being slow or bad finish or gouging...grinding discs yes, flap discs no.

Also, availability is another problem with sanding discs, they definitely aren't as readily available everywhere.