• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Does anyone have a: Grizzly G0619, Seig SX3, Shop Fox M1111 or a Busy Bee CX611

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I also have the cx600 and have no complaints, other than the standard Busy Bee quality glitch here or there. My z-axis gauge went out, and Busy Bee replaced it no problem (this was before their strict 'no-original-receipt, no service' policy.) Had I had the money at the time, I'd have gone for the cx601 or cx611, but I don't regret it at all. I ended up buying a used CT054 kneed mill from a machinist in Edmonton when the economy tanked in Alberta and this serves me well.

Pound for pound, the cx600 gets more use as it is quick to setup and run. There are also a lot of CNC conversion videos for that machine.

Colten Edwards

Fabricator
King Industrial KC20VS is a G0704 clone as well. Parts from grizzly fit it quite well as I found out with the motor I replaced. the King is 1999.00 and I believe KMS has one.

Kelly McLaughlin

So I pulled the trigger on the 611 and got it home, everything worked fine except the tapping function, it woudl randomly change direction as you touched or moved the quill feed. I called busy Bee in both Calgary and Concorde but Calgary had no idea and Concord didn't answer the phone but did return my call the next day. In the mean time I spent some time pondering the parts diagram and playing touchy feely with the mill and decided to take it apart a little. It turned out to be a poorly made hand grip that didn't allow the button to fully return so I reamed the bore in the handle to allow for free movement and it worked just fine, The tapping switches were a bit too sensitive for my liking so I took .030 off all three rods and it gives a predictable switching motion now. Got to drill and tap with it that day and I have to say, lots of torque and I really like the variable speed. Looking forward to getting moved into my new tiny shop so I can spend some quality time with all the new stuff : )

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Glad you got it resolved.
Tapping function - does it actually have a power down feed that equates to a screw pitch? I don't have power down feed on my RF-45.
Next mill! LOL.

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Peter! no it just puts the mill in a slower mode the tap draws / you gently feed as the tap threads and then the buttons on the handle allow you to change direction instead of shutting the machine off and reversing good for through holes tricky for blind holes.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The smaller 601 has a gear to flip from 0-1200 rpm and 1200-2400 rpm (ish) - I don’t see such a knob on the picture. Does the machine go from 100-1800rpm without a gear switch?
What speed does it tap at?

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi John! the switches are on the quill handles. from any RPM it drops to 500 if you're below 500 it will remainn where you are but you have 0 to 500 in Tap mode and 0 to 1800 in mill mode. The tap mode makes the reversing switches active along with the RPM limit. So far I like it but use has been limited : )

Kelly McLaughlin

The job I did was a couple of 12mm helicoils and at 100 RPM it walked through the aluminum case like it wasn't there. I've had occaision to to a little bit of steel milling with it and I sure like the variable speed, you get to dial it exactly for cutter size and material, I'm liking this alot : )