• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Do you guys use collection bags in your ShopVac?

Brent H

Ultra Member
One (no bag but filter) shop vac for the mill and lathe. One for the general use - filter and no bag. Large 3HP cyclone for the wood shop. One for the business that gets used all over - Heppa filter - no bag.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I spent some time doing application sales for a dust collector manufacturer a few years ago.
Cyclones are great for high volume of wood chips and dust.

What you have to determine is the presence of ‘hot‘ chips produced during metal work.
Bags tend to be flammable and even if the metal chips are cool, they can be abrasive to the material of your shop vac.
Use a brush and tray to collect them over a draining screen where coolant can be taken out and then scoop them up.
If you use carbide cutters, always use an old brush and dust pan.

Everett

Super User
I have a bigger shop vac with a filter, no bag, for machining swarf. Got a smaller shop vac, it is only using a filter as well, but it is for "cleaner" tasks like vacuuming the car or when I had to suck out my washing machine when the pump wet the bed. Filter came off before that job, lol.