Do Starrett Tools rust more than other tools?

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I have bought a Starrett forged combination square and was disappointed that it developed some rusting that has pitted the surface slightly.

Every once in a while I treat bare metal with this wax: ProtecTool Wax ,so I was kicking myself for not having used it often enough.

So I started thinking maybe it’s diet related and I have an unusually acidic personality?
That is until I was watching Stephan Gotteswinter’s End of the Year, Shop Tour ,and he made the statement similar to “What’s up with Starrett tools, they always rust”.

Of course we could both have the same diet issue.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
maybe is a surface finish thing ? could it be the surface finish starrett does is slightly rougher than others, rougher finishes rust more easily?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I have several Starrett tools as well. Dating back some years now. The only surface rust I have noticed taking hold is on the adjustment screws, top of the pins in the depth mic set.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have bought a Starrett forged combination square and was disappointed that it developed some rusting that has pitted the surface slightly.

That is until I was watching Stephan Gotteswinter’s End of the Year, Shop Tour ,and he made the statement similar to “What’s up with Starrett tools, they always rust”.
I saw that video & chuckled when Stefan said that.
My personal theory is the one bought within say last 10 years may have been a farm out or cost reduction measures if still made in country. What used to be an extra dash of nickel or chromium in the alloy was substituted with tunacanolium. I'm getting more religious about inspecting & oiling the valuable stuff more often. I haven't tried anything wax based but I've noticed it can be a blend ingredient in some of the specialty sprays & treatment.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
…as I divest my Starrett tools…
I wanted a really nice combination square after finally giving away my $20 one that never locked properly. So it was a disappointment it appeared to rust easier than my other bare metal tools.

Apart from that it’s a lovely tool, buttery smooth to use.

But I think I’ve scratched my Starrett itch now…