• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Do-All 6x12 Surface Grinder for $400 (Kitchener)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Link gives me

"
20inch WHEEL & TIRE COMBO! BLACK WITH RED MILLING!-Financing available- Cadillac-Chevrolet-Chrysler-Dodge-GMC-Jeep- LG25
$1,390.00
"

trlvn

Ultra Member
The ad has been up for 25 days. I note that it uses 575 volt 3 phase power. I have no experience with phase conversion, but that's an expensive issue for anybody with single phase, no? Either a new motor or phase conversion plus step-up transformer?

The main bearings for the grinding wheel are key to accuracy on such machines, right? Anyone know what kind of life can be expected? They must be expensive if they need to be replaced.

Craig

torinwalker

Every good piece of equipment I use is on three-phase. For my mill, and my lathe, I use a 600 to 240V 4.5kva transformer wired in reverse and drive the main spindle with a VFD.

Hacker

Super User
Agreed, the initial cost of setting up three phase for larger motors can be expensive but once you have it it is the only way to go. That is the beauty of a transformer they work in either direction.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
A 600v transformers can be had on auctions for around 120 - 170 CAD. VFDs can be had for less then 200. This is excellent deal.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Tom I wish I knew you 6 years ago... I missed a great deal on a SG because of the voltage difference - A new 3PH transformer was going to be 2500$...

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, a 480v 10kv transformer sold for 100 plus fees near Red Deer like 3 days ago. I was going to buy a boat motor and a mill on that auction but both went too high for me so I did not bother with extra transformer (it would be nice to have for me as I have both 600v and 480v) I also checked new prices on transformers and these are ... well... very, very high.

On that auction you bought some tables, Dabbler, they also had small transformers, like 2.5kv - went a bit expensive, I assume due to size & fact a lot of machinists wanted them.

Good thing I did not buy that mill-drill for over 1000, as I got one from Edmonton on Friday for just 341.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I picked up my goodies from that near to red deer auction and got to meet the owner, nice guy.

Got to see/touch the pinko mill and the mill/drill. Went for too much imho

There will likely be another sale...... this was just the start of the purge, another 50% not listed yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I picked up my goodies from that near to red deer auction and got to meet the owner, nice guy.

Got to see/touch the pinko mill and the mill/drill. Went for too much imho

There will likely be another sale...... this was just the start of the purge, another 50% not listed yet

And what goodies did you get?