DIY tool holders.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
These are a few tool holders I made years ago. A few tangential and a few standard type with various rakes. The tangentials don't get used a lot as they have their limitations in respect of access to the job. The standard type holders I made get a hammering.

They're all made from sections of 16mm Square bar welded together at various angles. Slots for the tool were cut with an endmill on the lathe using a vertical slide.

I made them with all sorts of angles to see which was best. After several years use, it doesn't really matter, they all work well.

Attachments

• tang2.jpg
    tang2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 19
  • tang5.jpg
    tang5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 17
  • tang3.jpg
    tang3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 18
  • tang1.jpg
    tang1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 18
  • tang7.jpg
    tang7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 19
  • tang6.jpg
    tang6.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 20
  • tang4.jpg
    tang4.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 24

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The tangentials don't get used a lot as they have their limitations in respect of access to the job. The standard type holders I made get a hammering.

Looks to me like you had LOTS of fun! I love playing games like that too.

Once I realized how the metal is actually "cut" everything started to make more sense. It isn't really "cut", it's more like "plowed".

I lost all interest in tangential tools once I came to know that their real advantage was easier tool grinding and an overall increase in system rigidity. Carbide inserts do all that and much more. On top of that, indexable HSS inserts do exist and carbide inserts for aluminium actually have sharp edges.