• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

dividing plate question

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I recently acquired an 8" Palmgren rotary table and it has 40:1 gear ratio . With it came 2 dividing plates ,each having 3 hole circles . The hole numbers are 24,25,30,34,36,40 . This seems odd to me because those numbers aren't in any dividing plate charts that I have found. From what I can gather the even numbered hole circles such as 30 could be used for say a 15 hole circle . The 34 could be substituted for a 17 and so on. Have I got this right? Has anyone run into these odd hole circles before?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
wow, the bilar site is great! Thanks . I must be missing a plate or two, but according to that calculator I can do more than I realized. I went to the palmgren site but didn't see plates like mine. Most now days have 3 mounting holes , mine have 2. Dabbler, do you have Palmgren?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
From what I can gather the even numbered hole circles such as 30 could be used for say a 15 hole circle . The 34 could be substituted for a 17 and so on. Have I got this right?

Yes, that is true.

Don't forget that the plates are actually only a convenience and not really necessary. If your table has graduations on it at the crank, you can simply dial in whatever you want. Just divide 360 by the number of features (teeth, holes, marks, etc) you need, then make a spread sheet that calculates each angle needed, and then dial in that amount for each feature you are making.

My rotary table doesn't even have the plate system at all. I may make or adapt one for it some day. But for now, I'm not crying over not having them. Making/adapting a plate system for my table is near the bottom of my priority list - more of a fun project than something I really need.

That said, you already have the system - you just need the missing plates. Making your missing plates isn't impossible or even really difficult.