• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Die grinder worn out

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Anyone ever repair a die grinder? My Proto die grinder stops very easily. Air supply is good. I took it apart and cleaned it all.Bearings feel OK but wondering if it is worth it to replace them, with the price of die grinders so cheap. Or are die grinders considered disposable? if the bearings are gone, is it discernible my feel or is it that they drag at the high speeds?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
is it a right angle unit? sometimes the gears can slip on those and can be adjusted.

Make sure you have a good air supply...no kinks or partially closed valves anywhere...seen it happen. Die grinders need a lot of air volume at good pressure.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Straight grinder. My other works fine. It is an Ultra Pro, not Proto. I looked at it again after posting. I think it is just worn. When I spin it by hand, quick twist, it continues to spin for a turn or two after I let go so I think the bearings are fine.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That was the first thing I did today. Had it all apart. Did not look bad, and no different afterwards. I had that valve apart too. Maybe after I cleaned it, I put it back in a different position, resulting in the same.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Phenolic blades are likely worn out. There is s YouTube video on this.
I've flipped them around due to scoring, but also had an IR impact gun lose power due to gummed up/gritty vanes. A good cleaning mostly fixed it, but it was old - 7-8years of constant use. Flipped over the chipped ones.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I did not have get the center out, (so I guess not "all apart" as previously stated,) where I suspect the vanes are, but I used brake cleaner liberally on it, spraying it in through the passages. I then oiled it and after putting it back together and adjusting that screw, it seems good as new. I put a small wire brush wheel on it and pushed it hard into my steel bench and the die grinder kept on happily spinning so I think it was a combination of cleaning and the air volume screw. Thanks for all of the input.

Gearhead88

Super User
I've got quite a few pneumatic die grinders , some I've had for a very long time , some are small , I have several mid sized ones and a few high out put die grinders . We used to rebuild our air tools in the past , not so much anymore .

I asked my SnapOn dealer a couple of months ago about getting me a kit for an older bluepoint 90 degree AT110 die grinder , he looked at me like I was an alien , then stated , those kits are hard to get anymore , everyone just throws away air tools that have lost their power. it's an example of what we've become as a society ..... throw away .

I still have the die grinder I wanted to repair , it's all apart , in a plastic bag , I took it apart and couldn't find any apparent damage . I still have all the paperwork and explode view parts list for it , I will put it back together and get it going again .

I've got quite a few pneumatic die grinders , some I've had for a very long time , some are small , I have several mid sized ones and a few high out put die grinders . We used to rebuild our air tools in the past , not so much anymore .

I asked my SnapOn dealer a couple of months ago about getting me a kit for an older bluepoint 90 degree AT110 die grinder , he looked at me like I was an alien , then stated , those kits are hard to get anymore , everyone just throws away air tools that have lost their power. it's an example of what we've become as a society ..... throw away .

I still have the die grinder I wanted to repair , it's all apart , in a plastic bag , I took it apart and couldn't find any apparent damage . I still have all the paperwork and explode view parts list for it , I will put it back together and get it going again .
Sad....

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ask your snap on dealer for a flat rate rebuild. Last one i sent came back brand new...not even the same gun. All my 14.4 stuff came back new too. I swear the toss the old one and just give you a new one.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver

I had a similar Blue Point for probably well over 10 years. It was beat on pretty hard. I had no complaints with it, it was simply just worn out.

Im a big IR air tool fan. If you catch the right sale they give you the tool you want, plus a free air tool. I bought a straight die grinder at the same time as a 90 degree, I was confused when the tool dealer handed me four air tools and only charged me for two.

IR used to rebuild their tools, that may haven changed. I bought my 3/4” gun used and sent it in to get freshened up. It was definitely not new when it came back, cosmetically, but it does work good.