• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DICKSON quick change tool holder(Who uses it? Detailed dimensions can or have been mapped)

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
I was looking through the DICKSON quick change tool holder the other day, On the https://www.colchester.co.uk/spares/dickson-quick-change-tool-post/ website and didn't find the size of the various models, the appearance of even the most basic size. I emailed and got a reply: trade secret! @, Therefore, I hope to get the detailed mapping drawing dimensions. I plan to make different models of compatible tool holders as well as matching tool holders. Because I have enough of my 125 knife holders.
In addition, this brand I remember is a very historical British machine tool brand, but feel this website is very strange.
Or who has an official tool rack details in their database to share?
If the occupation of making compatible tool holders may be a good occupation that can combine hobbies.AA.webp

I have a smaller Dickson toolpost for 3/8"-1/2" tooling, made by Emco Maier. I also have a larger Dickson toolholder for 5/8" tooling, but no toolpost for it. I'm not certain about the origin of this one.

If you like, I could measure them up for you.

IMG_4661.jpeg

IMG_4662.jpeg

Mine are 100mm centre to centre. They are expensive to buy used, and the ones I've seen are usually beat up. Hence the purchase of raw stock to make them.

@Ian Moss are yours original Dixon? Mine is a Rapido, and I at first thought it was 4". Upon better measurement, I realized it was 100mm Some of the UK ones are imperial, which is why I almost went down the wrong path.

I have a smaller Dickson toolpost for 3/8"-1/2" tooling, made by Emco Maier. I also have a larger Dickson toolholder for 5/8" tooling, but no toolpost for it. I'm not certain about the origin of this one.

If you like, I could measure them up for you.

View attachment 47933

View attachment 47932
Thank you so much, Arbutus!
I certainly hope that you can make accurate measurements, if it does not take up too much of your time.
If you can find the official size data from the website and check the mapping correctly, this is the most accurate data. If I accept your data and make some samples in the future, I will send the first and second samples to you.

Dickson S4 / T4 Tool Holder | Paul CoulamDickson S4 / T4 Tool Holder | Paul Coulam640 × 550
I didn't expect this model to be so huge. This is almost the limit size of this type of tool holder, right?
Thank you for the S4 drawings you found for me. If there are S3 and S2 drawings, it will be more perfect.
I plan to collect more drawings of tool racks and consider making them specifically in the future. I think I'm starting to get addicted.

Mine are 100mm centre to centre. They are expensive to buy used, and the ones I've seen are usually beat up. Hence the purchase of raw stock to make them.

@Ian Moss are yours original Dixon? Mine is a Rapido, and I at first thought it was 4". Upon better measurement, I realized it was 100mm Some of the UK ones are imperial, which is why I almost went down the wrong path.
I am very interested in the detailed drawings of your tool holders and tool holders. Is the compatibility of tool holders of different brands the same?
You said used is expensive? Example: How much is ----?
My tool holder is also a strange size, the V pitch is 99.70mm. I have tried to convert it to imperial, and it is still not a reasonable integer size. And I tried in vain to find its official website.

For the common sizes, these dimensions might help, at least in identifying the older designation:

这是用于 3/8" 至 1/2" 刀具的 S-0 刀柄:
View attachment 48038
How can there be such a small handle size, about 12mm tool rod?

I don't think I can make such small knife holders anymore, I mostly make tools for myself and then make some to sell. So, I'll make the 125mm knife holder first. Thank you very much for your drawings. I have saved it on my hard drive for backup.

I hope I can see your complete process of making the knife holder, which is the best chance for me to learn!

I was looking through the DICKSON quick change tool holder the other day, On the https://www.colchester.co.uk/spares/dickson-quick-change-tool-post/ website and didn't find the size of the various models, the appearance of even the most basic size. I emailed and got a reply: trade secret! @, Therefore, I hope to get the detailed mapping drawing dimensions. I plan to make different models of compatible tool holders as well as matching tool holders. Because I have enough of my 125 knife holders.
In addition, this brand I remember is a very historical British machine tool brand, but feel this website is very strange.
Or who has an official tool rack details in their database to share?
If the occupation of making compatible tool holders may be a good occupation that can combine hobbies.View attachment 47897

For such a good company and website it is a massive oversight that Colchester doesn't include their post and tool holder dimensions. Especially since the data that exists in the wilds of the world wide interwebs is often wrong...

It is almost as if Colchester doesn't want to sell more of these.

Luckily, I have enough that I can even afford to modify a few of them to hold specialty items like a grinding spindle arbor and a broaching tools

Here is a drawing of Dickson's Plain Bore Toolholder Type S2 Model #T112D0181

I have about 5 of these. I'm turning one of them into the slider for a motorized broaching tool with a 1/2 HP right angle gear motor. Just need to press in a bushing and tap the top for a hole to fit both a grease fitting and two pins to hold ball bearings in position. Those bearings will run in a groove in the slider rod.

I suppose I could make a manual tool but then cutting splines would be a real pain. Literally with arthritis.

1721965767977.webp

Mine is a Rapid Original made in Italy.

Back