Attachments

• SNAG-10-20-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-10-20-2019 0000.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm in no rush on this particular item.

Just wanted to point out they aren't just for regular grinding wheel wheel dressing. I use them on Dremel or die grinder stones too. The usual reason is they get worn or plugged & need to be re-dressed. But the other thing is rotary stones can be kind of non-concentric when you get them new which makes for somewhat crappy uncontrolled grinding especially at high rpm. This pic isn't the best because I'm close to done, but when I first started truing it, half the surface wasn't even making contact. The felt pen shows last of the virgin stone that still isn't making contact with the diamons.

Attachments

• IMG_2050_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2050_edited-1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 0

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Which dresser style works the best? Or should I say is fool proof. I got one of these https://www.busybeetools.com/products/diamond-dresser-with-handle.html but I'm reluctant to use it.
I've never dressed a wheel before and my grinder wheels really need a tune up.
I've got an old one of that style and I also have one like Peter showed. The single point diamond can take off a good amount of material if need be but you should have a stop/fence on the shaft of the tool you can use against your grinder rest (just a drill bit collar works ok). You can gouge the wheel easier with the single point tool. The other style is easier to use but I don't think they last as along.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What DPittman said. The diamond is more about restoring flatness to bench grinding wheels when that's important or re-profiling Dremel/die grinding wheels. The diamond does dullen over time. Mine is an 80 grit & I only really use it on the softer wheels. Its faster to expose new aggregate with the point, just try & keep it even.

I've had so-so results with diamond plates & such form the cheapo places. Sometimes they seem just like any other for a good price. Others you can tell either the grit is softer or the adhesion seems to let go earlier.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
if you use it carefully a 1/4 carat dress will dress hundreds of times. My friend Bert has one he got from another machinist, and he's used it 50 years on surface grinding wheels.

There is a big difference between 'natural' diamonds versus 'man-made' diamonds, the latter more susceptible to fracturing and wear. A good 1/4 carat point dressing diamond should be north of 80$ for a Norton one (at least locally)

I use a rotary dresser for my bench grinders: cheaper and easy to control (and they take a long time to wear out!)

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I have one similar to the Busybee one but without the handle. my grinder table has a slot 90 deg to the wheel. I made a holder for the diamond that runs in the slot.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I have one similar to the Busybee one but without the handle. my grinder table has a slot 90 deg to the wheel. I made a holder for the diamond that runs in the slot.

John, can you please post an image of your arrangement.

Thanks

Johnwa

Ultra Member
This is my arrangement for a few more months LOL
I’ll try to draw something up for you though.

Attachments

• 6D756C48-3F8A-45C0-9D92-BDDF60C66702.jpeg
    6D756C48-3F8A-45C0-9D92-BDDF60C66702.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0

Johnwa

Ultra Member
We’re doing the snowbird thing down in Arizona. We got out of Calgary just before the snow.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Here’s a conceptual drawing of my diamond setup. the table is mounted so it can be tilted at various angles to the grinder wheel. When dressing the wheel it is set to 90 degrees. The rectangular piece on the bottom of the diamond holder slides in the slot in the table. There is an adjustment screw on the opposite end from the diamond point. I also made a protractor thingy to hold a lathe bit at a specific angle. It never worked very well. A424F602-03F7-4EFE-BB5C-0139AAD899DC.jpeg 34F99C51-6B86-43C1-B4B2-0DE1563DBAFF.jpeg

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I was looking for a good diamond dressing tool. Ordered something from DGI but what showed up was for a surface grinder with a built in wheel dressing attachment. Not useful for dressing a bench grinder. I think the only one that looked good was from McMaster and it was over a hundred dollars.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Seems like the single point 'screwdriver handle' types are not as common anymore. They used to be everywhere. Same goes for the rotating wheels. Both worked fine but I think they have also fallen victim to the disease cheaptoolinitus. But there seem to be lots of dressing tools in machinery supply places where the diamond is embedded in a small steel round shank (like surface grinding wheel application). I think if you can make a reliable holder & something to make it run across the wheel in controlled increments. Now whether the diamond is high or low quality I cant say.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
S
. But there seem to be lots of dressing tools in machinery supply places where the diamond is embedded in a small steel round shank (like surface grinding wheel application). I

Peter
That is the style I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Seems like the single point 'screwdriver handle' types are not as common anymore.
That is what I wanted I didn't want to make a handle to hold the tiny inch long piece they sold me. That little part was only about $60 but a professional shop won't spend the time to make tools we can buy instead. If it was for at hine that would be different