• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Diamond cutoff wheel ?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
So, I've got some carbide blanks I'd like to cut to length before further grinding with diamond wheels.
I've tried the diamond concrete or ceramic wheels from Home Depot etc. but failed with those.
Anyone got a source for 1/8" or less thickness cutoff wheels ?
Blanks I'm wanting to cut are 1/2 x 6 X .156" thick, wanting to cut across. into 1.5" lengths.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
+1 on the score and break method that's what I do

I nick the long face with a diamond file to make a 'stress riser', clamp it int the vise (use a milling vise with flat jaws - serrated jaws are a no-no) and tap it with a plastic hammer - nice clean break, just like glass.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Thanks for the responses guys.
I've tried several of the diamond blades intended for concrete or ceramic. Not very nice to use in an angle grinder, very rough and "jumpy".
"Score and break" was attempted, holding in flat aluminum vise jaws, quite close to the score but I just got shattered shards.
Could be the grade of carbide I'm trying to cut - some "Super C" grade from a carbide specialty processor. Probably not a deep enough score is part of it too.
The MSC blades would probably work but the $ has me recoiling.
Been looking at "Lapidary" cutoff wheels at Aliexpress, may swing by P/A and have a look at what they have (when the weather moderates a bit).
My sense is that the ones truly intended for cutting carbide are also intended to be turned much slower than the 10,000 RPM of my angle grinder. The ones intended for a Dremel might work, at least I can slow down my Dremel.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Well, it might work - at least it looks like its intended for metal cutting. The ones for concrete / ceramic tiles are segmented like that and the gaps between segments seem to make them quite rough / bouncy.
This is the kind of wheel I'd like to get - thinking the MSC wheels would cut like this:
Just have to get used to the $

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
search aliexpress - I am sure they got the right stuff. Maybe be a bit hard to find at first. You need something with a LOT of diamond in it and in powder form. Masonry stuff has larger pieces far apart.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
search aliexpress - I am sure they got the right stuff. Maybe be a bit hard to find at first. You need something with a LOT of diamond in it and in powder form. Masonry stuff has larger pieces far apart.
Yes, I noticed that with the masonry wheels - big diamond particles and not really very many of them on the cutting face.