• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Determining Milling Machine Taper...?

IC...

I have found a local milling machine for sale. It runs but it has no tooling, no chuck and no manual. How can I tell if it has an R8, MT2, MT3 or something other taper?

Thanks for your help.... I am new to this stuff.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
MT3/R8: the opening will be either approx 1" (MT3) or 1.5" (R8) in the unlikely event of cat30/cat40, someone else here will have to answer. the taper on R8 is also much more abrupt.

Mt2 will have about an .800 opening (a little bigger than your thumb)

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
There is also the dreaded BS#9 that is smaller than mt3 and bigger than mt2. It would help to have a machinist friend look at it. R8 or 40 taper are great for garage use.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I forgot about that Alexander! great advice! I prefer R8, but it is what I've always used...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was hoping to find a link with 1:1 scale drawings just to roughly eyeball. No luck but this should provide an overview.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper
As Alex says, best you have a buddy with machinery experience or a known shank that fits from which you can measure. Hopefully its not too obscure. If so, consider the cost/availability of tooling might outweigh a deal on a machine. Small mills might have MT. Probably most common is R8 until you get into bigger or more industrial machines.

IC...

Sadly, I do not have any machinist friends. I think I am safe from the BS#9. I suspect it is R8 but will check it out tomorrow if I can. The diam. is definitely larger than 1 inch. I did not feel the taper angle change one would expect with an R8 but who knows.

IC...

It is a smaller machine... RF-25 equivalent I think.

I found some diagrams a little earlier and reviewed the wiki page which was great for the morse tapers.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi IC..., if it is a RF-25 or clone, then you probably have a R8 taper. See below.

C845FC31-A1ED-4A43-89A5-14113B0DE501.png

As stated before, take a picture of the data tag (or write it down) then google it or post here and someone will help you out ( if it has a data tag...). Or take a picture of the spindle bore and post it. People will be able to at least tell the difference between a Morse taper and a R8 taper. R8 has an anti rotation pin inside (assuming it is not busted off) about 1.5 inch from the mouth of the spindle. If it is Morse, it will be completely smooth all the way.