• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

@Dennis P Inspired Me ! (New Test Workbench)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
James at Steel inc cut the legs for my gantry crane to length without charging extra. Encore cut my big 4140 order to 8 and 10 foot lengths to fit my roof racks. Both places seemed to be very accommodating. Last time I was at Encore, they said the had no minimum order, but the cheapest way to buy from them was by half lengths, but they'd sell me a foot, for a price.

- oh, and James will cut your pieces for your table to the lengths you need. If you are thankful and respectful, he usually does it for FREE...

-- when I checked, 1 foot of 2" X 2" 4140 square at Encore was about 1/2 the price of MSM.

Wally, I can help you pick up the steel you need.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Several guys on the internet have made high-end welding tables out of 2"wide X 3/4" thick bar stock with 3/4" spacing between. Fred did this:

[edit] Fred used 1/2" X 4" bar stock...

Holy Cow. His welding table is nicer than my dining table. In fact, it's a work of art. Wow. I've been welding and fabricating since I've been a teenager but have to say if I had to worry about 1/32" I would have dumped the hobby decades ago. I know to you machinists that's nothing, but I can't imagine being that much of a perfectionist when welding. Nor do I know anyone I've fabricated stuff for who would pay for that level of perfection.

I feel like George from Seinfeld when he said he "excels at mediocrity." No wonder I prefer bending and prototype fabrication to machining.

That table is beautiful!.

Wally

Holy Cow. His welding table is nicer than my dining table. In fact, it's a work of art. Wow. I've been welding and fabricating since I've been a teenager but have to say if I had to worry about 1/32" I would have dumped the hobby decades ago. I know to you machinists that's nothing, but I can't imagine being that much of a perfectionist when welding. Nor do I know anyone I've fabricated stuff for who would pay for that level of perfection.

I feel like George from Seinfeld when he said he "excels at mediocrity." No wonder I prefer bending and prototype fabrication to machining.

That table is beautiful!.
LOL, Peter, I'm with you on that one, I like precise but the degree perfection that some people can do do is beyond intimidating, down right scary.
Dabbler, thanks for the offer and when the time comes here soon I will take you up. Right now the budget is thin as winter approaches. Need to save a few more pennies for our winter retreat down to AZ for a few months come Dec and our CDN dollar isn't helping much these days. But I still hope to do my table before we leave.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
LOL, Peter, I'm with you on that one, I like precise but the degree perfection that some people can do do is beyond intimidating, down right scary.
Dabbler, thanks for the offer and when the time comes here soon I will take you up. Right now the budget is thin as winter approaches. Need to save a few more pennies for our winter retreat down to AZ for a few months come Dec and our CDN dollar isn't helping much these days. But I still hope to do my table before we leave.

AZ eh? This guy has a great channel with lots of welding and metal working tips. His studio is in AZ and if I ever go there (doubtful) I will look him up for a shop tour. Either way, you might like his channel.

Wally

Oh I've seen more than a few of Kevin's videos and am a subscriber, just watched one he had on plasma cutting last night. I like the folksy feel of his video's and he has some great info. Didn't realize he was in AZ, may have to see where he's at and if it's not too far away I'd see if I could meet him and get a shop tour.
We go down to Casa Grande, sort of in between Phoenix and Tucson. No metal working, just lots of pickleball, hiking and Margarita's.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Oh I've seen more than a few of Kevin's videos and am a subscriber, just watched one he had on plasma cutting last night. I like the folksy feel of his video's and he has some great info. Didn't realize he was in AZ, may have to see where he's at and if it's not too far away I'd see if I could meet him and get a shop tour.
We go down to Casa Grande, sort of in between Phoenix and Tucson. No metal working, just lots of pickleball, hiking and Margarita's.
LOL. Enjoy! Especially the Margarita part.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Good info, Thanks!
Pretty sure when the time comes I will fabricate my own table because of all the things I want to have and do and let face it, thats the fun part of this hobby. I like idea of a pull out or fold-up plasma table along with the same idea for the chop saw. I have seen a few ideas for drop in holders for vices and such and your suggestion of having at least two locations will be incorporated. My table wont be huge, I just dont have the space so at this point I'm thinking 36" x 48" to 60" before the pull-up/foldouts.
Where I'm really struggling is the top. I see a 1/2 inch or thicker piece that would be perfect especially with some 1/2" or 5/8" holes cut for clamping work down but I think the price is out of this retirees price range. I've seen some with rectangular tubing spaced to allow clamping down and such. At this point this is the direction I'm leaning but would love to hear thoughts and Ideas from you and others that have more experience in this area.

I used 1/2" by 6" plate for my welding table top.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/welding-table-project.680/