• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Deciding on a mill

Galoot

Now that my CNC controller is done and working, I'm looking intoa mill I can connect it to. When I started this project it was
for isolation routing of printed circuit boards, so accuracy ismy main objective. Question is can anyone tell me how much of
a difference ball screws make? Besides to the price tag of course! Is it worth the difference in cost to go with ball screws?
One factor I thought of is that GRBL has no backlash compensation so ball screws would reduce that effect. I think other
s/w such as LinuxCNC or Mach4 has backlash compensation though which would be cheaper than GRBL and ball screws
But I dunno...

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Pardon the late reply. Mach3 has backlash compensation so that might be another cheaper option.