• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Decent deal on a Modern milling machine

Everett

Super User
It would seem that way Chipper, I waited 3 years to get an affordable BP clone and in the last 4 months have seen 5 including this one.

Hacker

Super User
I would suspect that because of covid and the economy there will be some very good machines and deals coming out for the next while. I have been to a couple of machine shops and bought up surplus tooling for some very good prices. They aren't busy so they have the time to sort through the stuff they aren't using and disposing of it. Bought about 40 HSS name brand end mills of various sizes and a 2 inch Kennametal face mill for 100. All with very little use or new.

Everett

Super User
Tom, crazily enough I got my mill and a 6" Kurt vise for $3k. The ad was only up for about 25 minutes when I saw it and took a risk of e-transferring a deposit. It was at a shop closing up in Slave Lake. Only took a few years but finally got one that was in my budget reach!

John Conroy

Premium Member
I got my Ferro brand Bport clone in February 2015. I paid $2500. That may seem like a great deal but it needed a,lot of work.

P2160754.JPG

It needed a complete tear down to clean out decades of chips and gunk as wel as a new lead screw and nuts for the Y axis and nuts on the X.

P2270797.JPG

P3150862.JPG P3150864.JPG P3150866.JPG

P3150871.JPG P4130933.JPG P4170962.JPG

That work got it to a mechanically satisfactory state but since it has a 3 phase motor I needed a VFD.

20160213_144655.jpg

I have since added way covers.

P5311102.JPG

P6061109.JPG

Then a 6 inch riser block.

20200402_140216.jpg

20200406_171737.jpg

It already had a X axis power feed and I had added Z and Y axis power feeds as well.

20210116_121615.jpg

So 5 years later I'm into this mill for over 5K. If you can find a really nice machine for 5-6K it might be better than a 2.5K beater like I bought.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
OMG That thing was not worth even close to 2.5k. I paid for mine, 40taper, used for like 3 years 4.5k if I remember correctly. I only added DRO and one power feed.

Tom Fitzpatrick

I got my Ferro brand Bport clone in February 2015. I paid $2500. That may seem like a great deal but it needed a,lot of work.

View attachment 12813

It needed a complete tear down to clean out decades of chips and gunk as wel as a new lead screw and nuts for the Y axis and nuts on the X.

View attachment 12814

View attachment 12815View attachment 12816View attachment 12817

View attachment 12818View attachment 12819View attachment 12820

That work got it to a mechanically satisfactory state but since it has a 3 phase motor I needed a VFD.

View attachment 12821

View attachment 12822

View attachment 12823

View attachment 12824

View attachment 12825

It already had a X axis power feed and I had added Z and Y axis power feeds as well.

View attachment 12826

So 5 years later I'm into this mill for over 5K. If you can find a really nice machine for 5-6K it might be better than a 2.5K beater like I bought.

View attachment 12813

View attachment 12814

View attachment 12815View attachment 12816View attachment 12817

View attachment 12818View attachment 12819View attachment 12820

View attachment 12821

View attachment 12822

View attachment 12823

View attachment 12824

View attachment 12825

View attachment 12826

Thank you, that’s good to know. Is yours an off shore make & were parts available?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
All B-port clones interchange parts AFAIK - you can even get B-port parts from China direct from aliexpress - I got handles and other stuff from aliexpress for another clone.

Chipper5783

I sounds like John ("Old guy") got a decent deal on his Ferro mill. I think sometimes we fuss too much over the price. Buying old used machines is sort of like getting a lottery ticket (just much better odds) - perhaps it will be great and perhaps not. Also if it is near by, fits with one's own timing and various non-commercial factors - then for the individual doing the purchase it may well be worth the price but it would not be worth it for someone else. By the time John got to the end he had a good machine for a decent price. Certainly there are the stories of machines that just need a little cleaning / servicing and they are awesome. I have been fortunate to land a couple of those - "pretty well stole it" deals.

An important aspect is what it gets used for. Probably my best "deal" was my first lathe, an Enterprise 15x60 that paid $9,500 with nothing for tooling and another $600 to move it (as lathes go, it really is nothing special). That was a lot of cash in 1983. What made it a really good deal is that I have used that machine a lot over the last 37 years (still the go to machine), I'm sure I have spent more than the purchase price tooling it up. I've no regrets, the machine has been zero trouble and a learned a ton - basically it led me into a lifelong interest.

On the flip side I got a great Huron mill, "just needed a little TLC" - cheap, only $500 (which included delivery). I have since spend 200-300 hours disassembling, cleaning, making small parts - I'm still in the midst of it and it feels endless (I'm now at the point of test running and finding more small issues). Of course the time is chalked up education and entertainment. The output (making stuff, even when it isn't for profit - none of my machines make me any money) compared to what I've put into it (mostly time, some money), that Enterprise lathe was certainly the better deal.

I really enjoy hearing people's rebuild stories. I've fixed up a number of machines (never right to the last nut and bolt, and then painting), but I have never put the effort into documenting so much detail. My "hat is off" to guys like John that persevere through such a effort. By comparison I may be the type that would get about half way through and run out of interest - so it was good to see him carry it right through.

John Conroy

Premium Member
You're right Chipper5783. I never felt like I paid too much for my mill. If I waited for a perfect machine for a great price I probably wouldn't have a mill. I enjoyed the rebuild and upgrade process and now I know every part of it has been checked. It now has pretty much every feature I wanted when I decided to sell my PM832 mill and get this 10 X 50 machine.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@John Conroy That's a nice mill now that you've got it all going! I agree completely with your message about buying better if you buy used. Once in a while you get a super deal used, but you have to be prepared to walk if there are any 'red flags' at all. it is too easy fo fall in love with the machine and ignore red and yellow flags.

Buying new offshore equipment has some similar problems... If you want all the problems to go away, and a warranty, you pay the full price and go to a reputable vendor like Modern Thomas Skinner or Precision Matthews.. Otherwise, even new machines can be hit and miss. In both cases it pays to stay away from the bottom price deals unless you are in the know or have a competent survey done.