• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Deals? Maybe, maybe not… Concord/GTA Ontario

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Anyone else keeping an eye on this auction? https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/bscpe/catalogue-id-bscper10502

I can’t spare the time to drive up for the inspection on Monday, but there’s a lot of interesting stuff.

My experience so far (mostly as a spectator) is that auctions generally do well for the seller, and well for the auctioneer. Buyers, well… :|

Don’t forget that premium!
18% in this case.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Hey, I know that name. We've done a bunch of work for them in the past. I sure hope our accounts are squared up.....

That micron mill is nice. I ran one a few years back with a pallet pool. Incredibly fast, and accurate.

A lot of nice goodies in that auction. The 31% gouge is certainly something to consider though.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
That right there is enough to put me off...... Last time I checked the loonie was still the legal tender up here, or did I miss something in the past 10 or so years?
More & more businesses are refusing to take cash. I tried to pay a UPS bill of ~$28 w/ cash a couple weeks ago. Card only. I pulled cash out of my pocket & asked the idiot if it was still legal tender or not. I told him that it was still guaranteed by the federal gov't. No joy.

trevj

Ultra Member
That right there is enough to put me off...... Last time I checked the loonie was still the legal tender up here, or did I miss something in the past 10 or so years?
You, and lots of others. And that will benefit a few guys that are local or are there to scoop a few higher value prospects...

For a guy like me that is generally a bottom feeder at Live auctions, looking for the broken and maybe repairable stuff, and the stuff that is getting piled up into ever bigger lots that nobody still wants...LOL! .. an auction like this could be a heck of a place to score a deal or three. If it was in my back yard, anyways!

Personally, I don't really care if the want to run the Auction in Kopeks or Rupees, as long as I know enough about the exchange and gouge, to understand what I am paying! The Gavel price is NOT the cost to have it sitting on your own shop floor, at most of these sales!

trevj

Ultra Member
More & more businesses are refusing to take cash. I tried to pay a UPS bill of ~$28 w/ cash a couple weeks ago. Card only. I pulled cash out of my pocket & asked the idiot if it was still legal tender or not. I told him that it was still guaranteed by the federal gov't. No joy.
I can sorta see their point, while I spit at the thought of that...

UPS/Courier drivers don't need the added risk of getting robbed for the chump change they may be gathering. And by sticking to E-transfers only, they are immune to questions about when the money totals don't add up either. Here in the sticks, the driver is like to be a contractor, rather than a direct employee too. So, Head Office gives them a Machine, and the person does not have to deal with any of the issues.

Be a lot easier, if they had a system that allowed you to pre-pay online, and not have to deal with the delivery guy at all!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Be a lot easier, if they had a system that allowed you to pre-pay online, and not have to deal with the delivery guy at all!

If you have a UPS Account, you can pay in advance on line. I always do.

But I hate UPS. I only use them when I'm forced to and only then after I have exhausted other places to buy that don't use UPS.