• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dead Flies!!

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I come into the shop this morning, and I notice 4 dead flies. I often have my shop door open, so these pests occasionally come and go.

So, dead flies....is this a harbinger of doom, destruction, apocalypse? How toxic is my shop environment that is killing flies? And what is this shop air doing to me?

I come into the shop this morning, and I notice 4 dead flies. I often have my shop door open, so these pests occasionally come and go.

So, dead flies....is this a harbinger of doom, destruction, apocalypse? How toxic is my shop environment that is killing flies? And what is this shop air doing to me?

House flies can survive without food or water for two to three days. If they have no access to the sugar they thrive on, then their lives will end pretty quickly.

If you have a hi-bay mercury arc light they love it. If I had too many flies in the shop I left the light on. They keep flying around the light til they crash and burn. And then we are supposed to eat them, says a well known fool.
I find they go crazy when welding and will fly head on into the molten puddle and make a mess of my weld when they burn and explode. They also divebomb and ricochet off the welding helmet.
That's where I figured out the light treatment.

-- It's not dead, It's restin, pining for the fiords' Monty Python

When I leave my garage door open a crack, they seem to be attracted by the dozens. They end up on the window sills, eventually....

This year has been a good year for flies, I hardly ever see one in the shop. Mind you, the windows are speckled with puke from them regurgitating in the past so maybe they see it as a crowded place.

I would recommend everybody get one of these things. A few perhaps, as they are handy to have around and VERY effective for flying insects.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-zapper-racket-assorted-colours-0593954p.html

We got our first one from Cabela's in the USA about 15 years ago. We still have the original one and it is still deadly. It was bright orange built like a brick shit house and called "The Executioner". All the ones we have bought since have been good for shit, break on contact, and wouldn't kill a fly - excuse the pun. Our executioner has taken a beating but it still kills on contact.

Handy tips:
1. Hold it under a yellow sac spider in a corner of the ceiling. Then poke it with something. It will fall onto the executioner and die instantly. Yellow sacs are the translucent yellow spiders that wander around at night and bite you while you sleep.

If you kill something you really hate like a wasp or a biting fly that's been bugging you, roll it around on the grid and watch it fry till it smokes. Very satisfying.

Don't let the grandkids know you have one. They will torment each other with it and also leave the doors and windows open so there are more bugs to kill.

Do not spank your wife with it. She will take it away and use it on your manparts while you are sleeping. A spider bite is infinitely preferred.

About these electrical insect devices...

About 10 years ago, my wife was bugging me about flying insects. We had a indoor fruit fly problem that I had just eliminated by using cider vinegar and jars. That summer, somehow houseflies and mosquitos managed to enter.

That Christmas (long after the problem was fixed) I bought her one of these devices as the first part of her Xmas gift. She's a Buddhist. Thank goodness the orther part of her gift was really nice!

My daughter gave me a Bug-A-Salt gun for xmas, lots of fun. If i loaded it up with salt and pepper i could use it to season steaks as well as killing bugs. It also takes more than one shot to dispatch a large critter like a moth.
I gave one to a friend for Christmas when I couldn't convince her that waving her arms wildly and jumping around just annoyed the yellowjackets.
She became a crack shot with it....

It seems I have a knowledge deficit on this subject. Please tell us more.
It;s a pump action pneumatic assault rifle that fires a load of table salt to wipe out creepy, crawlly, flying, little annoying critters. The effective range for table salt is not to far, much less than 100 yards. :( Still it is more fun than just swatting and creating a squashed mess.

Back