• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

de-magnetizer?

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Turning some 1.375" round bar - place I bought it from used a big abrasive cut-off wheel to cut it - now its rather strongly magnetized. Turning it on the lathe, its quite annoying to have chips come back and stick to it.:(
Anyone got a good method to de-magnetize (without buying a de-magnetizer) ?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Never done it myself, but its on the internet so must be true lol

Attachments

• SNAG-2021-12-30 12.36.23 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2021-12-30 12.36.23 PM.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Never done it myself, but its on the internet so must be true lol
I didn't know that heat would de-magnetize and it wouldn't return after cooling. But buying a de-magnetizer off Amazon would be cheaper (I think).

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Thanks Craig, I might just try that (if I strike out at my Son's place later today) - he's been a pro. machinist for 20+ years, he might just have a commercial one he picked up somewhere in his travels.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I didn't know that heat would de-magnetize and it wouldn't return after cooling. But buying a de-magnetizer off Amazon would be cheaper (I think).

Not so much de-magnetize but becomes non-magnetic. Can be used to check temperature when heat treating.

Chip Maker

Super User
Do you know anyone with an automatic wet surface grinder? Usually the electric mag chucks have a demagnetize function.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
If you orient a needle to magnetic North and then hammer it repeatedly it will become noticeably magnetic. Try taking your bar and orient it in random directions and hammer it. I’d be interested if this demagnetizes it.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
So, I've ordered a de-magnetizer (Amazon) - seems like I will have a use for one. I tried the soldering gun trick and it does work but on 1.375' round bar its pretty slow.
This is a "new issue for me".
This steel that I've bought (18 ft. of 4150 "modified") is quite strongly magnetic. It will pick up a 3/4" flat wrench and it will stay stuck on the bottom side of the bar. Its a real nuisance on the lathe, swarf jumps back and sticks to it and everything it touches becomes magnetic.:mad:
Talked to my Son (Red Seal Machinist) about this - he said he thought it was a by-product of the heat treatment process of this particular steel - said he'd seen it quite a few times. I'd never heard of it (but that doesn't mean anything).

SparWeb

You can make a demagnetizer. All standard precautions about handling electricity apply.

You take the transformer out of a dead microwave, saw the end off, slide out the secondary coil. At this point you discard the secondary coil - you don't want to play around with the 5kV that comes out of that. Keep and use the power supply board from the microwave - it has the convenient cord, plug, and should have a fuse to keep you safer using this.

What's left is a primary coil sitting in a big "E". Face the 3 legs of the E pointing up. Rest your magnetized object on them. Plug in the transformer for a moment and unplug it. Half the time when you unplug it, your object will be demagnetized. The other half of the time it's become magnetized, so just do it again until the mag field is gone.

Since it can magnetize and demagnetize, you can re-magnetize your screwdrivers with it, if you like.

Thomas

If you have an A/C welding machine you could try wrapping the lead around a piece of ABS pipe, energize it then pass the shaft through the center.