• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

DC Motor Controller PWM & Universal Motors?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Before I try ( and possibly kill) a motor controller and a drill, has anyone tried using a PWM 90-volt DC motor controller and a old-fashion universal wound-field AC brushed drill motor?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
I completely forgot about this <hmm, I wonder?> question. So I just went out to the shop and did this test.

test rig of 60 volt DC power supply, 7 to 70 volt PWM variable speed controller, ancient PowerFist single-speed universal AC/DC power drill.

Results? Works just fine, oscilloscope on motor leads shows nice clean signal, no smoke. I’ll do some torque tests when I have some time this weekend.