• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Dc motor brush sparking

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I should have combined questions. Do you have another board to try? I have both parts. I will try to reproduce and see what kind of sparking I get. If you need one or the other, PM me.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Walked in the shop and DOH! Lol. Test setup was ready. My assistant was monitoring to ensure it was all done to code. I did not see a lot of sparking, relative to what you see, but it might be the board.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Walked in the shop and DOH! Lol. Test setup was ready. My assistant was monitoring to ensure it was all done to code. I did not see a lot of sparking, relative to what you see, but it might be the board.

Yes I originally used a controller board that I have on hand for a spare for my lathe. That controller is a KB electronics board.

I also tried one of those cheap dc co troller boxes from Amazon DC Motor Speed Controller, 24V-90V Adjustable Single Phase Motor Speed Controller for 24V, 36V, 90V DC Motors https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FZ38M54/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_93QQR7GBKRFTAJJT341W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sparking was about the same with all board controllers.

I've also ran another motor, the one that came with the mc-60 board and it runs beautifully with virtually zero sparking.

PS. I like your shop assistant, mine is a bit more rambunctious and I can only let her in when I have it really clean in there as she seems to like to lick and eat all sorts of things off the floor.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
Well, I'm no electrician nor any kind of electronics expert but I did have a construction business of my own for 30+ years. Bought (probably) 100's of power tools over the years. Used to do lots of my own repairs on them. From my experience, when there's excessive sparking at the brushes, its usually a bad armature (shorted ?), occasionally the fields. Some brands (Makita) are not too bad $ for replacement armatures.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's been my experience.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well, I'm no electrician nor any kind of electronics expert but I did have a construction business of my own for 30+ years. Bought (probably) 100's of power tools over the years. Used to do lots of my own repairs on them. From my experience, when there's excessive sparking at the brushes, its usually a bad armature (shorted ?), occasionally the fields. Some brands (Makita) are not too bad $ for replacement armatures.
Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's been my experience.
Yes I think you are right. I did some testing of the armature with a multimeter but I am thinking I missed something. I should retest again carefully to give me more confidence in throwing the motor on the recycle pile.