• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tips/Techniques Dan Gelbart shows how to test lathes and mills

Tips/Techniques
Dan Gelbart in his bat cave discusses how to test lathes and mills. Of course his equipment is amazing (and pricey!). CNC gear but with manual handles for all the axis. I almost hate to try these tests on my machines. Performing these tests while inspecting a potential purchase could be quite helpful. Maybe I'll try a few of those tests and post results - be interesting to see results from other members.

He also explains the advantages of the 3D metal printer he designed. Maybe the forum could buy one! just $200K. Really good content from Dan as usual.

EDIT dec 2023-> Dan has deleted this video as he was not happy with it. You can read the thread still and get a feel for most of the testing from the video.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder if he didn't like it or decided something was wrong?

His other stuff is there.

I watched a few of his videos. It's clear he is only interested in teaching and talking about stuff he has made. I admire that. I didn't mind watching the whole thing at regular speed. I didn't feel like I was being used for financial purposes or being lectured by some self anointed wanna be expert.

Since his other videos are still there, he must have had a reason why he removed that one.

Perhaps someone took offence or criticized it in some way that he didn't like or agreed with and then no longer wanted it out there. He might do an improved version shortly.

Edit - just thinking he might have gotten flack for testing equipment most of us mere mortals cannot ever own, and those that can afford machines like that are not gunna be doing tests like he showed.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes he is. If that is his reason, that's ok w me! Wonder who his camera person is.... He pretends nobody is there, but we all know there is......