• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

D1-4 3 jaw Chuck advice

canuck750

Premium Member
I have a 12 x 36 gear head lathe, it’s 40+ years old, looks similar to a Grizzly G4003G, I think it is an EMCO, I was able to purchase replacement gears I needed for the gearbox from Grizzly using the G4003 parts list. It’s enough machine for my very limited skills and I use it for my vintage motorcycle restorations.
The lathe came with an independent 4 jaw and a 3 jaw Chuck but the 3 jaw does not have the second set of jaws.
I would like to purchase a good used or new 3 jaw Chuck with both sets of jaws, any advice on what to buy in terms of size, make etc, and from where to purchase a decent quality Chuck is appreciated. I believe the Chuck uses a D1-4 mount.

It could be an Emco v13. Post up some pics. If it is a V13, its worthy of spending the dough on a better quality chuck, as its a very high quality machine.

Look for a set true style of chuck. Bison, Rohm, Buck, etc

If you can make due with a 5" chuck this is probably your best deal, NOS Bison.

You'll just need to change the backing plate.
My 5" Bison Set tru chuck is the one I use most on my 13x40 lathe. Theres a few good videos on YouTube about custom set Tru arrangements for regular chucks.

Mine is similar but has an enclosed oil bath gear head and a D1-5 Spindle.

My favorite chuck is a Bison 5C Collet Chuck. It does the vast majority of the work on my lathe.

When you say second set of jaws I assume you have what's called solid jaw model. One set (of 3 jaws) is dedicated for smaller diameter range, another set for larger diameter range. Nothing wrong with them but one downside is like you are experiencing. If they need to be replaced, you need to find a set matched to the chuck model meaning: jaw width, backside scroll threads & ground & matched to hold round stock concentrically in the 1,2,3 positions.

A better way to go IMO is 2-piece jaws. You remove the cap screws & reverse the jaws 180-deg to accomplish this. Since the jaws sit on tenons of the inner moveable jaws, they come factory ground on all surfaces so they are accurate on both diameters & vertical stair surfaces & not dependent on the scroll. You can buy replacement jaws & soft jaws or make fixture holding accessories since the tenon dimensions are a known published standard.

This is a 6.25" dia D1-4 direct bolt on style.

The Set-Tru style @Darren mentions usually is the same style of chuck in terms of the business end of chuck body & jaws, but the backplate + rear end of chuck is different to accommodate dialing in any remaining chuck runout via 4 opposed set screws, kind of like a 4J independent jaw principle. You can also see that style of chuck on the first link. Bison calls theirs Set-Tru, Gator calls it Tru-Turn, others have their own name... similar principle. Careful when you price one. The ST chuck can be about the same price but the backplate can be spendy. You require both.

I mention Bison mostly as a terminology reference. They are great chucks but spendy. But sometimes they come up for good prices. Asian chucks can vary from great value to garbage, so very hard to provide feedback without specifics. Usually returning them for quality issues is a big headache due to weight & country of origin, so choose carefully there.

A collet chuck is a completely different animal. If you are looking for one of those as opposed to 3J, or in addition to 3J, we can advise on pros & cons.

When you say second set of jaws I assume you have what's called solid jaw model. One set (of 3 jaws) is dedicated for smaller diameter range, another set for larger diameter range. Nothing wrong with them but one downside is like you are experiencing. If they need to be replaced, you need to find a set matched to the chuck model meaning: jaw width, backside scroll threads & ground & matched to hold round stock concentrically in the 1,2,3 positions.

A better way to go IMO is 2-piece jaws. You remove the cap screws & reverse the jaws 180-deg to accomplish this. Since the jaws sit on tenons of the inner moveable jaws, they come factory ground on all surfaces so they are accurate on both diameters & vertical stair surfaces & not dependent on the scroll. You can buy replacement jaws & soft jaws or make fixture holding accessories since the tenon dimensions are a known published standard.

This is a 6.25" dia D1-4 direct bolt on style.

The Set-Tru style @Darren mentions usually is the same style of chuck in terms of the business end of chuck body & jaws, but the backplate + rear end of chuck is different to accommodate dialing in any remaining chuck runout via 4 opposed set screws, kind of like a 4J independent jaw principle. You can also see that style of chuck on the first link. Bison calls theirs Set-Tru, Gator calls it Tru-Turn, others have their own name... similar principle. Careful when you price one. The ST chuck can be about the same price but the backplate can be spendy. You require both.

I mention Bison mostly as a terminology reference. They are great chucks but spendy. But sometimes they come up for good prices. Asian chucks can vary from great value to garbage, so very hard to provide feedback without specifics. Usually returning them for quality issues is a big headache due to weight & country of origin, so choose carefully there.

A collet chuck is a completely different animal. If you are looking for one of those as opposed to 3J, or in addition to 3J, we can advise on pros & cons.
Thank you! Very thorough response, much appreciated!
Jim

Back