• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cx709 lathe

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
So this happened! IMG_0730.JPG sold my cx series mini lathe. The hole it left in my heart was unbearable, but it was short lived IMG_0732.JPG
In the crate is my new one, a CX709 from busy bee. Here is the move photos, IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0735.JPG had to shed some weight IMG_0736.JPG IMG_0737.JPG down these crazy steps IMG_0731.JPG and its new home IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0739.JPG IMG_0742.JPG .

Then i tried turning it on..... it did not work ..... found out why in short order tho IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0741.JPG i by passed it as was my plan anyway but still, rough. Lots of posts to come as i highlight the short comings and beauty of this $3400cdn machine

Martin w

Nice! Looks great. Looking forward to seeing some turning projects in the future.
Cheers
Martin

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Fantastic Mike. You guys lugged it down those steep stairs? Wow. Look at the size of that log on there. You making downhole tools?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As in black powder canon?

Hope you are planning on sharing that project with us.....

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
i figured this job would be many years out when i got the materials in the group purchase.... i may post a thread , i hinestly had not thought much about putting that content up but should, its not like black powder firearms are in any way illegal

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Did not mean to put you on the spot....

Just curious how you’d go about boring such a long tube and control tool deflection to get it cylindrical all the way to the bottom. Line bore it and then make a breech plug? If you have rifling, how are you going to put that in?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I may have seen the answer to my question in your other post (“In the shop today”): the log already has a hole through it! That is clever; the hard work is already done.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Well Sort of, the boar is not straight, thats largely the reason the lot was for sale and why i only took a halfer, being at the 4140 group buy allowed me to pick stuff i thought my mini machine would handle rather than the "log's", and i do not plan to correct it, i will (as it is not a precise "weapon") simply position the misaligned boar to be parrallel with the length of the barrel and with 1.5" of minimum wall thickness on the thin side i dont think i have much to worry about. No rifling but i may shove a hone down hole to clean it up.

Everett

Super User
Is it just me or does it look like the register bore ID of the chuck is slightly smaller than the faceplate register OD? Hard to tell from the picture angle. One way or another it looks like a different bolt circle diameter ratio to the register circle diameter on the faceplate from what it is on the chuck. But again, maybe it's just the camera angle.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
And the winner ladies and gents! The bolt hole circle on the chuck is 1/8" off the radius of the bolt hole circle on the faceplate. The register is perfect, the od's match, the obvious solution is to tear the head stock apart and get new holes drilled to match the 4 jaws difference.. i cheated and labeled the bolt holes for the 3jaw with a punch and the new holes will be labeled the same..... but i may wait a fair bit before i tear it appart and may see what the seller has as a solution. image.jpg