• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cutting Tool Geometry (More old educational videos...)

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This time I found some produced by the BBC in the seventies. The series is called “Engineering Craft Studies”.

In this episode # 9 (1972) they talk about cutting tool geometry and power required while cutting at a specific speed and feed - but with different rake angles. Some good slow motion action of a planer cutting...

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When i attended machine shop classes we had to make a drill sharpening gauge by hand then sharpen a drill bit correctly before we could move on to power tools. Same thing for the lathe, learn to correctly sharpen a HSS bit before using a machine. I had an excellent instructor.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for posting these, its helped me figure some things out, I have a couple of HSS blanks that I would like to experiment with once I get better at using and sharpening the ones I already have.
Have to love that opening music too, haven't heard that in a long time.