• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cutting fluid for steel

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Below is my repertoire for cutting fluids; both the A9 and the Option1 work well and are not overly stinky, The Masters cutting oil is downright obnoxious it smokes, and stinks to high heaven and the smell just lingers, will not use another drop of it.

16oz does get used up fairly quickly, so a larger quantity might make sense.

So what is your cutting fluid of choice for steel?
and
Where do you source it?

IMG_0260.JPG

I like using air when milling most steels.
No cutting fluid will help, until you find the proper feeds and speeds for the tooling your are using IMO. The chips will tell you to either slow things down or speed things up.
Air will give you a good indication as to how well your speeds and feeds are set.
With coolant, if things are not set properly or close, you may find by the end of the cut, you have a dull cutter or coating prematurely wearing off the inserts.

Last edited:
I've been using Microchip Coolant from KBC on the mill both as a flood application and spritz application.

On steel I've also tried WD40 for drilling and small milling jobs.

Most jobs I use flood and it is great regardless of the material.

Years ago i bought a 5 gal pail of Cutwell45, mix with water for strong or weaker mix as needed. Use in a spray bottle for drilling and cutting. Think my pail is near empty. Use Wd40 or Relton A9 for Aluminum which is not to often.

I like vipers venom. It's readily available in the USA and used to be available in Canada from a guy in BC. But the supply has dryed up.

It is great stuff. I drip or brush it on. It sticks enough to allow 3 or 4 passes before needing another drip or two.

Back