custom drill stand

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You guys who are dabbling with CNC & Laser cutters/markers, if I wanted to make a custom plate like this but with my own drill sizes, do you think the holes could be cut & lettering using the same machine? Or does this look like 2 separate operations: 1) mill/drill the holes 2) lettering/engraving type look. It doesn't have to be black letters like sample pic, just visible. What about small holes say like 2mm diameter. Is that too small for cnc to mill & therefore drilling required? My prior experience with laser on holes wasn't that great. Even though the kerf is very thin, they had kind of a noticeable start & stop tick on The ID. But maybe that was a particular service or material, many moons ago.

My usual home shop method has been block of wood & drill the holes slightly oversize (otherwise they kind of stick). But where I struggle is the identification. I've printed a CAD hardcopy using paper but it rapidly degrades. I was thinking with a thin metal plate I could just have 4 extra holes in the corners so the plate could sit on cheapo standoffs over a base plate made of whatever underneath. I thought about 3D printing but not sure the letters would be very visible at that scale?

1689489256409.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That could be done on a CNC router and CO2 laser. But a drill press and CO2 laser would be simpler and likely faster.
I would drill all the holes, deburr then spray it with zinc paint then laser it and clean the paint off.