• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

CA-ALL CTS Industrial Supply

Canada Wide
Type
Tool

jorogi

Ultra Member
So my beautiful new to me Jacobs chuck came with a Jacobs R8 arbor. I new this when I looked at it so it wasn't a surprise or disappointment.
I went to Amazon and found an Accusize arbor for $19, free two day delivery. I placed the order and bingo, bango it's suddenly $14 delivery and three weeks. I had the same thing last time I tried buying Accusize through Amazon. That time I went Accusize direct and with our discount it was as if I was getting free shipping. This time I called Amazon and got all sorts of BS excuses, what's the point of Prime if you get screwed on free shipping ?
With Accusize direct this time shipping was going to triple the cost of the arbor, if you want to P me off charge me shipping. So I go online and find an Accusize arbor and $15 shipping from an outfit called Cutting Tool Pickers and CTS Industrial Supply in some place called York, apparently in Ontario. I talked to the owner on the phone and he was very pleasant and helpful. So I would like to give these guys two thumbs up and recommend you check them for future needs.

I went to Amazon and found an Accusize arbor for $19, free two day delivery. I placed the order and bingo, bango it's suddenly $14 delivery and three weeks.

I've dealt with CTS before and been happy too.

I have also done many thousands of dollars of business with Amazon and NEVER had that happen.

I have noticed that sometimes they say free shipping and then you get the option to have different shipping at a price. But you can still choose free shipping. And it's usually faster than the options. I think they provide options for those who don't like the default. For example, some people like CPost and some don't.

Post a link to what you wanted and let's see what they do to me! Should be interesting!

Just be aware that sometimes the inexpensive offshore arbors can have problematic runout, even among the same name name/model. No sense having a 0.000" chuck when the top end is 0.002" eccentric.
My rule of thumb is If they don't spec a runout (even if its a sticker or wishful thinking) I move on to another that does. If they know their stuff & meets the specs you are good to go. If its a Monday morning wobbler & you show them a pic with DTI reading that exceeds the claim, my experience is they try to make it right with a Tuesday part or work out some kind of $ compensation. The issue is you cant send it back for anything close to what its worth so its more bout having a backup plan ahead of time. Generally these kinds of parts seem to be getting better over the years I must say. But the odd time....

Just be aware that sometimes the inexpensive offshore arbors can have problematic runout, even among the same name name/model. No sense having a 0.000" chuck when the top end is 0.002" eccentric.
My rule of thumb is If they don't spec a runout (even if its a sticker or wishful thinking) I move on to another that does. If they know their stuff & meets the specs you are good to go. If its a Monday morning wobbler & you show them a pic with DTI reading that exceeds the claim, my experience is they try to make it right with a Tuesday part or work out some kind of $ compensation. The issue is you cant send it back for anything close to what its worth so its more bout having a backup plan ahead of time. Generally these kinds of parts seem to be getting better over the years I must say. But the odd time....
I agree Peter, the R8 you sold it with is certainly the cats meow but I need straight shank or Morse taper. The chuck I'm replacing is awful so even if it's not 100% it is still a vast improvement. It will be interesting to see how close it is. One project hopefully in the near future is a cylindrical grinding attachment for the surface grinder and then I'll probably make my own with a thicker shank, but in the meantime I'm sure it will meet my needs. Holes over 1/2" I'll be using one of my larger Jacobs keyed chucks on thier MT arbors and if accuracy is really needed my Narex boring head gets me there.

I've dealt with CTS before and been happy too.

I have also done many thousands of dollars of business with Amazon and NEVER had that happen.

I have noticed that sometimes they say free shipping and then you get the option to have different shipping at a price. But you can still choose free shipping. And it's usually faster than the options. I think they provide options for those who don't like the default. For example, some people like CPost and some don't.

Post a link to what you wanted and let's see what they do to me! Should be interesting!
So I looked on Amazon and can't find the 1/2" one anymore but the listing was just like this 5/8" one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240607-185356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240607-185356_Chrome.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 2
A cylindrical grinding attachment for SG would be so nice. My friend just acquired a Harig? Crazy tight specs. An Ebay find. It looked newish but listed as 'broken' so went cheap. Turns out broken equated to replacing a broken $19 specialty gear, still available from the factory now on route. That was a good score.

Oooops didn't mean to send that yet but as you can see free 2 day Prime delivery.
Their excuse is these are shipped from Accusize, last order was was 5 endmills and one of them had to come from Accusize so it was 14 bucks and three weeks.

A cylindrical grinding attachment for SG would be so nice. My friend just acquired a Harig? Crazy tight specs. An Ebay find. It looked newish but listed as 'broken' so went cheap. Turns out broken equated to replacing a broken $19 specialty gear, still available from the factory now on route. That was a good score.
Tell him he sucks from me. That is a great find but I think they're pretty rare.

So with Peters comments in mind I ran some checks on the arbor both between centers and in the collet and on an endmill in the chuck itself. In the end I figure there is about 1/2 thou in the arbor and more in the rest of the setup so I can live with that. Certainly far better than my old keyless chuck and boy does it ever feel nice.

I fiddle farted with arbors & chucks just from a fitting standpoint because I have no grinding provisions to correct anything. Deviations can come in different forms. Sometimes the tapered arbor segment is circular but its off axially. Sometimes its ground axially but you can see blue transfer strips on opposing sides (as though the socket or arbor is slightly elliptical section vs circular section). What I've learned is don't just press the 2 parts together & hope for the best. Ease it on just enough to hold, make reference marks so you know how its phased. Do some runout tests & see what you have. I was able to make +0.0008" runout turn into essentially zero just by clocking the chuck to a different position so the errors cancelled. Every combination is a new experience, sometimes you can improve it, sometimes not. Also, grip an accurate dowel & leave it put for all tests, at least initially. Releasing & re-gripping on the jaws, especially a different diameter or different grip tension can introduce new errors that have nothing to do with the arbor socket fit.

Back