• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex CT054 Knee Mill

neer724

Just came across this - small knee mill for 3k:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/trenton-on/craftex-ct054-milling-machine/1608694587

s-l640.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like it's in nice shape, probably double what the original owner payed for the machine new but also probably in line with today's market.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I recently kicked the tires on its bigger brother, the CX603. Does the 054 really have a 2 hp motor. The 603 comes with a 1.5 hp.

Gearhead88

Super User
Yes , 2 HP , it had a few features that it's slightly larger brother didn't have .

Like metal handles on the hand wheels .

I have the B048 , the handles on the hand wheels are plastic .
The catalog shows the larger machine to have a 1.5 HP motor , it actually has a 2 HP , mine does .

image.jpg

I want metal hand wheels on mine , maybe I'll go out there and make some , I just made one for my Sioux valve grinder to replace the one I broke by accident.

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I recently kicked the tires on its bigger brother, the CX603. Does the 054 really have a 2 hp motor. The 603 comes with a 1.5 hp.
The CX603 is an updated version of the B048 .
It has an $8 k price tag when not on sale :oops:

It seems to be missing some features that the older machine came with , like a work light , a power feed , a coolant system.
It has reverse though , the older machine didn't , I believe it could be added to an older machine if you wanted.

I think if I was to be shopping for a medium / small milling machine I could find better value for $8k

Last edited:

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
It is on sale this month, but still 7k. I showed the sale ad to my BIL, and he pretty much did a thumbs down as well, suggesting I direct any interests to Precision Mathews which would still be 7k (minimum). At 1000 lbs, the 603 did look like a perfect size for a semi serious amateur. Not small but certainly not overly large like an industrial sized Excello or Bridgeport.

Gearhead88

Super User
It is on sale this month, but still 7k. I showed the sale ad to my BIL, and he pretty much did a thumbs down as well, suggesting I direct any interests to Precision Mathews which would still be 7k (minimum). At 1000 lbs, the 603 did look like a perfect size for a semi serious amateur. Not small but certainly not overly large like an industrial sized Excello or Bridgeport.
I like the one I have .
But
If I was just starting out and was looking to buy a knee mill , knowing what I know now , it would not be anything Busy bee sells .

Just sayin

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
What issues do you have w/yours @Gearhead88 ? I've done the checklist of mods on mine (DRO/Powerfeed (x)/VFD, better one-shot-oiler etc). No major complaints except for table-size/height etc. but it is my go-to manual mill/drill for sure. I'd like to be staring at a 10x50 universal mill ....... but this is good for me for now. Mine has the metal wheels etc.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
I like the one I have .
But
If I was just starting out and was looking to buy a knee mill , knowing what I know now , it would not be anything Busy bee sells .

Just sayin
Yes, I read your lathe saga, and this definitely weighs on any decision. The only plus (and in my opinion a big plus) is that the 603 is Taiwanese built, and seems fairly well built. The guys at my nearest BB seem to be OK with wood working stuff, but pretty much clueless on anything metal working.

Gearhead88

Super User
What issues do you have w/yours @Gearhead88 ? I've done the checklist of mods on mine (DRO/Powerfeed (x)/VFD, better one-shot-oiler etc). No major complaints except for table-size/height etc. but it is my go-to manual mill/drill for sure. I'd like to be staring at a 10x50 universal mill ....... but this is good for me for now. Mine has the metal wheels etc.
I don't really have any issues with it , for what it is it's a pretty good little mill , this machine fits in with what I have going on , sort of .
I would like to have variable speed on this machine and my lathe , I would like to have a DRO on this machine and my lathe , given time , I will get there.
All I was trying to say is I'd choose another machine if I was shopping , there are machines slightly bigger than this one I've lusted after .

Gearhead88

Super User
How I wound up with this is , the Busy Bee Calgary store had just recently opened , It was close to where I was working at the time .

I was outfitting my home shop and did a lease to buy on a milling machine , a lathe and a tooling package that I picked . It was an economical way to acquire two machines I wanted , quickly .

At the time I had a House of tools / Force 3 in one machine that was a cool little unit but it's limitations forced me to make better choices , once the bigger machines arrived , very quickly , I sold it to make room.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Thx for the clarity. I like the 6x26 knee form factor over the other dove-tail units (in busy bee terms, cx601/cx611/dx600) etc. Don't know why, just do. That said, the availability of these small 6x26 in the market is getting rare, and I was surprised to see the post on this one. I know in the USA the Grizzly and Harbor-freight models are more common, just not up here. And I'm stunned by what they want for the cx603 (7K+?) , crazy! If I was getting to 7K, I'd keep saving at drop the 12K on a Modern or BP clone.

Gone are the days of the 3K 6x26 knee mill.