• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Craftex 7x12 lathes on clearance

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The Calgary store has a mill and lathe on clearance as of last week and usually hosts an annual clearance tent sale in the summer. Any thing marked as clearance is also marked as having no warrantee. Looks to be stuff that might have been damaged during shipment or missing parts.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
The warranty observation is a good one. Most of these are damaged during shipment, as YYC mentioned. I've had a good luck and bad luck on these. The knee mill, for example has had the belt cover and splash pan replaced, but could have been dropped hard and hides unseen damage. So proceed cautiously and look over everything really well. Sometimes it is just a careless forklift driver and lateral damage that's easily fixable. If you don't know what you are looking for take someone with you who does.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Man oh man I didn't see much in the way of deals that I would bite on. One of 12x28 lathes was dropped and has an oil leak from the gear box yet....it would have to be at least 1/2 price of their regularly overpriced standard. I wouldn't be afraid of any cosmetic damage but I would be very leary of anything more at those prices.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have not been to BB in few years. Way too expensive and most of their stuff is too low of a quality for a home user. As others stated make sure you take a good look as if you were at an auction, except usually you pay way less at auction.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Tom, I still go there for the odd thing or two. Their 1-2-3 blocks are less than I could find on Amazon. I need a deburring tool and those are less as well. Most of BB's stuff is less than what KMS wants. None of the clearance machines I have seen there have tempted me though.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
1-2-3 blocks on Amazon increased in price by $10 over the last year. If you get few sets no need to get more. Stuff that you use such as end-mills are dirt cheap online - I get carbide 12mm for $12 CAD. I only got used machines from KMS - everything else is also way too much - I have not visited in almost a year now. Just too expensive & too low of a quality.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I just got back from BB. The only clearance machine on the floor is a table saw. The guy manning the metal working kiosk said they had moved a clearance metal lathe to the back recently.