• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Craftbot IDEX printers

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
My main workhorse printers are Craftbot Flow generation printers. I have both the smaller one and the XL version. These printers can print 425 x 250 x 250 for the smaller one and 425 x 250 x 500 for the XL. I mainly print PLA and occasionally PETG. They are capable of printing more exotic materials, but currently I have not needed to. My house is basically a print farm, with the garage being a small machine shop. Like I have said in another post.... so many projects at once, difficult to get done... I usually make a to do list.

One thing I love about the 3D printers is they will run for days on end, unattended. Machining on the other hand needs supervision.

See attached links for more info on these machines.

Attachments

• FLOW_IDEX_product_sheet_2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
How is the performance of the craftbot printers? Now that Bambu is here printing standards have shifted! my pretty good Prusa MK3 is now a slow horse.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
How is the performance of the craftbot printers? Now that Bambu is here printing standards have shifted! my pretty good Prusa MK3 is now a slow horse.
The Craftbots are very reliable. One thing to remember is that speed is not everything. Claims to speed don't mean you would actually run fast, Craftbots can go much faster than I run, but the cost is quality, and possibly layer shift. multi colours look like a nice feature. Lidar ??? not sure versus physical sensor. Build volume on the larger one seems respectable. Many questions unanswered. How much? price not firm yet. New product means not trouble shot yet.

Next issue for me is no linear rails. Double bar guide at the top, instead of linear rails.

Here is an option for multi colour. Theoretically, if using both print heads on the craftbot, it is possible to print up to 16 colours using two palette pro 3 systems. This is tried tested and proven technology. See links below on the palette pro 3 system.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Those look good.

I have to see and use more 3D printers to gain experience with more than just Enders

An acquaintance has a Stratasys Dimension Elite that prints abs and a support material simultaneously. I have to teach him how to use it to it's full advantage so I can use it for ABS parts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An acquaintance has a Stratasys Dimension Elite that prints abs and a support material simultaneously. I have to teach him how to use it to it's full advantage so I can use it for ABS parts.

There is something seriously wrong with that story... He has the printer but you have to show him how to use it so you can borrow it? Too funny!

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
Those look good.

I have to see and use more 3D printers to gain experience with more than just Enders

That is an expensive horse. Downside to their product besides price is proprietary material. Having to buy their material costs 7x as much as open source. The printer was 35k in its day. I have attached a link to open-source ABS. As you will see, cost for 1 KG ranges up from 20 dollars.

Purchasing any filament from Stratasys cost about 150 dollars and can only be bought from them.

ABS can be tricky to print, and it smells, so you need ventilation.

Finally, for 30 K, I would not buy a Stratasys printer. My choice would be large print volume. This would be my choice with that kind of moola. Big Rep One. See the link and video below.

Last edited:

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
There is something seriously wrong with that story... He has the printer but you have to show him how to use it so you can borrow it? Too funny!
Think that's funny, the same guy has cnc mills and lathes and doesn't know how to program them. He hires a guy to set up every production run and then he runs them off.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That is an expensive horse. Downside to their product besides price is proprietary material. Having to buy their material costs 7x as much as open source. The printer was 35k in its day. I have attached a link to open-source ABS. As you will see, cost for 1 KG ranges up from 20 dollars.

Purchasing any filament from Stratasys cost about 150 dollars and can only be bought from them.

ABS can be tricky to print, and it smells, so you need ventilation.

Finally, for 30 K, I would not buy a Stratasys printer. My choice would be large print volume. This would be my choice with that kind of moola. Big Rep One. See the link and video below.

no arguments here. I think he acquired the printer with a bunch of other machines, with it being tossed in for free. But as with everything free, there is usually a catch somewhere.

For me though it would present opportunities I cant print with my own 3D printer. I lack the space or I'd have a 3D print farm.

Such places sortta remind my of VHS tape farms, where they manufactured VHS movies by the hundreds on high end commercial VCRS all connected to a master input signal.