• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Could someone help me identify this lathe please ?

Titusak

Hello guys,
I'm about to acquire my first lathe, and while looking on marketplace I found this one for 1K CAD.
Problem, the owner doesn't know what the model is (Might be an atlas 618?) and even if I could work on stainless with that.
I'm supposed to go there tomorrow to take a look.

1727873214250.png
1727873230136.png
1727873250060.png

Any help would be appreciated, thanks !

The manual for the lathe is at:

To me, the tailstock being a different colour is a red flag since it may be from another machine and therefore not correctly aligned.

Otherwise, it appears to be fairly 'bare-bones':
- no quick change gearbox
- original old-school lantern tool post
- no evidence of tooling (4-jaw chuck?, live centre?, drill chuck?, steady or follow rests?, ...)
- no threading dial?

On the plus side, the pile of gears probably means it can be set up to cut various thread pitches. Apparently there are 17 in a full set with 6 normally installed on the lathe.

Of course, no idea how much wear to the bed, the leadscrews, the bearings, etc.

At $1,000, it appears to be an OK deal but some basic tooling will quickly add to the total cost.

My $0.05 contribution!

Craig

What part of the world are you in? That makes the biggest difference to what's available as as good deal or a lemon. Depending on your location, you may find one with a quick change gear box for the same or not much more $. All other things being equal I'd try to hold out for that.

What part of the world are you in? That makes the biggest difference to what's available as as good deal or a lemon. Depending on your location, you may find one with a quick change gear box for the same or not much more $. All other things being equal I'd try to hold out for that.
I'm from Montreal !

I'm from Montreal !

Two points, or maybe three.

The owner doesn't know what he has... not the best sign that the lathe will come with all the parts he actually has for the lathe. The lathe is over priced for the Montreal marketplace.

Montreal tends to have good lathe deals, and better lathes like boxfords and SM lathes, so you could wait for a deal on a better equipped lathe. It is better to wait for the right lathe with a decent amount of tooling.

But that said, if you feel like you want this lathe offer $750 and tell the guy that it is older, harder to find parts and just not worth more. Then if you need parts look in upstate new york, and the wider area.

Also the lathe would lend itself to a ELS conversion, so there is that going for it if you got it a bit cheaper

The owner doesn't know what he has... not the best sign that the lathe will come with all the parts he actually has for the lathe. The lathe is over priced for the Montreal marketplace.
Yeah, that's what Im a bit afraid of. Especially as I'm a beginner, Im a bit scared I will miss something important.

Yeah, that's what Im a bit afraid of. Especially as I'm a beginner, Im a bit scared I will miss something important.
If you take your time a bit there may be local member who can help you out with inspections and such. You can have a few dozen eyes looking for deals for you if you want to enlist people's help. What is the maximum space you have, and budget etc. how far would you travel to buy a lathe?

Again, how much do space you have? Some of the larger lathes in good condition can be had for very good prices.

The kinds of abuse you see on the compound has been transferred to the bearings and drive train for the carriage.I would expect at least one gear to be missing a tooth. those are hard impacts, even for a lathe with bushings instead of bearings.

The tailstock tells 2 different stories. Either it is a replacement, or the rest of the lathe was repainted, and they missed the tailstock. Both of these raise red flags.

This should be a hard pass, unless you are looking to get into the hobby of machinery restoration. For $1000-$2000 you can get very good deals near you, if you are patient. This lathe potentially can double in price to get running well, and we haven't talked about bed wear yet.

Again, hard pass.

Back