Cougar killed a buddies dog

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A friend and neighbor called me at noon today with the bad news that he heard a lot of screaming in his bale stack area, went and found 3 dead sheep and his border collie dead. Border collie was 13 years old, he raised her from a pup and a real sweet heart. His big guard dog is still laid up from a fight a while back that they thought was from coyotes but are now thinking it was the cougar as well. He is not a happy man, i took a tour with a rifle but have no snow machine any more. to get down into the brush in the pastures.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well it's not good to loose livestock to predators but to loose a PET (especially a long time Border Collie) that's really tough and tragic. Yes I'd bet it was not coyotes but likely a cougar. Whatever it was WILL be back for more until it can't.

Marc Moreau

Marc Moreau
If a cougar will kill my dog sorry if they are protected or not but I will go for it night and day ,those big cat could also kill children and adult. That's bad in the state you see on tv show a man with is dog scare them but he never shoot one he get pay to do this jog. Most time he get call from farmer and rancher. Your dog was probably a member of the family. This is not the way you want him die.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Lucky Lake is nearest town. Not really cougar country but SERM released 60 pairs of cougars a while back, in a failed attempt to reduce the number of deer that had epidemic numbers of chronic wasting disease.:(
Why are deer contaminated with CWD? I saw a stag running and thrashing over by Ikea here in the middle of Calgary a few years ago. I wondered if it had CWD it was acting so strange.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
CWD is very high in the deer populations in parts of SK. Mule Deer in my area are at 50% or higher with the disease. Ther have been moose and i believe elk testing positive as well. They claim it won't spread to cattle, not sure about other forms of livestock though.
Not sure where it came from, a biologist told me it came from elk that where moved from the US to the north.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
CWD is very high in the deer populations in parts of SK. Mule Deer in my area are at 50% or higher with the disease. Ther have been moose and i believe elk testing positive as well. They claim it won't spread to cattle, not sure about other forms of livestock though.
Not sure where it came from, a biologist told me it came from elk that where moved from the US to the north.
CWD shut down my neighbors' elk farm 18 years ago.
It wasn't the disease itself so much as the requirement for testing.
If an elk was butchered for sale, the head had to be sent to the provincial lab for testing 200 miles away in refrigerated transport.
The cost of the transport and the testing made the business unsustainable.
Most of the elk farmers around here ended up doing a "kill your own" thing.
You come with a rifle, shoot a penned up elk, pay the farmer and then butcher yourself. No testing required.
There's not an elk farmer around for 150 miles now.
Too bad. Once you eat elk, you'll swear off beef.

If you can get a copy read the book called "Don't Get Eaten"

The information/warnings regarding Cougars far exceeds that of an encounter with a bear.

Mind you it doesn't warn you much about those you find at a bar.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Why are deer contaminated with CWD? I saw a stag running and thrashing over by Ikea here in the middle of Calgary a few years ago. I wondered if it had CWD it was acting so strange.
I believe CWD in deer occurs when there is a very high population of deer and then of course, with high population it then spreads rapidly.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I believe CWD in deer occurs when there is a very high population of deer and then of course, with high population it then spreads rapidly.

CWD in AB spilled over from SK and has now spread all the way to HWY 2:eek:

Last edited:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You can get deer shot in SK. tested for free, takes a long time to get results back though. Some friends said they had the deer half eaten by the time they got told not to eat it. :rolleyes: I was told as long as you don't get into the brain and spinal column it is safe. Seems that mule deer are affected more as they tend to herd up more than whitetail, Not seeing many this year but the last 2 winters i hauled a lot of dead deer from my feed yard. They just slowly starve to death surrounded by food.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
You can get deer shot in SK. tested for free, takes a long time to get results back though. Some friends said they had the deer half eaten by the time they got told not to eat it. :rolleyes: I was told as long as you don't get into the brain and spinal column it is safe. Seems that mule deer are affected more as they tend to herd up more than whitetail, Not seeing many this year but the last 2 winters i hauled a lot of dead deer from my feed yard. They just slowly starve to death surrounded by food.

Hopefully you get that bugger sooner than later, we had a cougar roaming around Moose Jaw, September 2020.

Last edited: