• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

North America Cork sheet or similar for large drawer liners.

North America
Type
Product

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Recently picked up a 5 drawer map cabinet. Drawer ID's are 25"x37-1/4". Looking to line them for toolbox use. Trying to find something that'll work that won't cost me $75 or more a drawer. Cork sheet, rubber sheet, good tool box liner, whatever. Prefer single sheets, rather than piecing something together.

Cork sheet from Amazon is expensive. Couldn't find anything big enough on AliEx, nothing at Harbor Freight. Snap-On lists some 1/16" foam that's reasonable but I'm wondering if I can find something just a bit more...substantial? My experience w/ cheap drawer foam is that it shifts/folds every time the drawer is opened/closed.

Suggestions/sources?

TIA.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
rubber mat material from PA - they cut it to length. I have some but it has a strong smell - which does diminish with time.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
1/4 inch cork underlay, comes in 24"x36" pieces.

If you shop around the building supply or flooring stores there's probably better prices out there

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Where are you located? In Vancouver, I go to Vanco or Custom Gaskets and just buy 1/8” neoprene sheet gasketing. You want something fairly soft, 50 durometer or lower. Don’t use EPDM, oil causes EPDM to crack. They also sell cork gasketing on rolls.

Super cheap is to buy the interlocking foam floor tiles for kids rooms. I use this for the cargo area in my car, problem is they’re 1/2” thick so might be a bit much for a tool box.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Snap-On lists some 1/16" foam that's reasonable

It's pretty rigid and doesn't fold up or kink when you shut drawers. For what it is, it works decent. I would like something a bit better but I've never had to replace any snap on drawer liners either. And some of my drawers have a bunch of weight in them

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
A rubberized flooring underlay might be your best and cheapest per sq/ft source. I have used rubberized runner underlay before, but it came in 24" rolls. Not sure if it's available in wider ones, but probably is. I'd call or visit some flooring places. The 25"width requirement might exclude a number of readily available materials and sources.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm dubious about really thin drawer liners. The ones I've tried slip and ball up into the back of the shelf. My next iteration of attempts will be: 7mm -ish foam floor interlocking matting. These will need some cutouts, however, so I have a *lot* of other things to do right now. Maybe winter.