• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Coolant system demo.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Neat. Was it you that said you didn't use coolant on your milling machine because it was too messy? I would have thought a lathe coolant system wouldn't be much neater?

Having run cooling on both mill and lathe, given a choice of only one for maximum benefit, mill hands down.

Lathe does benefit from cooling but applying cutting fluid to lathe work is less risky and has the good effectiveness. Mill on the other hand sticking anything near rotating cutters creates risk on each application so flood cooling is the best option.

Going to CNC in either starts to narrow the need of flood cooling for both for safety alone.

And yes flood cooling no matter how you do it is M E S S Y and benefits from some form enclosure to contain spray.

Last edited:

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
Yep, that was me, Vertical mills chuck debris horizontally, and without anything to stop the swarf, it gets flung everywhere. whereas lathes chuck it vertically, swarf trays, back trays and chuck guards (who uses them?) stop a lot of the debris, so nowhere near as messy as a mill, you do get quite a bit on the floor in front of the lathe, and on yourself of course. Biggest problem I've found is coolant getting flung on the floor in front of the lathe when operating at high speeds. I only have a small shop, 5m x 5m, but swarf from the mill manages to reach jut about every corner of the shop. When the wife comes in to sweep and clean up, she says 'Óh, you/ve been using that messy thing again'.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My shop is WAAAAY too messy to be spraying coolant all over the place. That's one forgotten tool I'll keep forgetting intentionally.

toglhot

just a Backyard Butcher.
My shop is WAAAAY too messy to be spraying coolant all over the place. That's one forgotten tool I'll keep forgetting intentionally.
Cooling is one thing, flood cooling is another. I just have two nozzles with adjustabe flow, mostly I just use a trickle and all I'll get is a small puddle of coolant on the floor when operationg the lathe flat out. But thats easily fixed:, I have a small clear plastic curtain I fix to the front of the chuck guard, when I can be bothered getting it out that is. Coolant is particularly good when driling holes. I never drill a hole without coolant, never!

Last edited: