Tool Coolant fix

Tool

Shoprat

Not wanting to run full coolant because of the minimal use thing. I was leaning to a misting set up. Most of my turning and milling are done with a small brush and oil, but on some big 4140 pins I just did a misting setup would have been beneficial I think. Thoughts? And recommended setups?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm getting setup to put on a coolant setup on my mill. I plan to try an replicate the fogbuster effect which puts out small droplets and not mist.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Everything I read prior to building one from those who seemed credible on the topid said you need to separately pressurize the coolant and air, each with their own control. I built one this way and works as promised. No fog and when you get set up laying down a stream of droplets where you want them, you can pretty much creep grind HSS to shape (I use on a tool grinder that doesn't have flood capability)

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Here's a some photos to give the basic idea of what I made. Old propane tank to pressurize the coolant, welding tip (can't remember the number but can look it up) at the end. Thumb screws on top of AL block control the pressure

20200807_154013-1300x975.jpg

(photo is grinding an internal buttress thread cutting bit)

20200807_154411-1300x975.jpg

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
thanks, I like flood, prefer it, and use it on other machines, but this little grinder is not made for it, there are not sides on the table or other containment of the coolant. Flood is currently a 5 gallon pail of microsol 585 (just doesn't go bad) and a pump. It gets moved from machine to machine. Year's ago I made (what I call) the Mk I central coolant server, learned a lot and have designed and burned the steel for the Mk II ..... all to combat coolant rot, but I may never get to it as the microsol seems to eliminate the coolant going bad issues.