• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cool New Tool - Bisecting Calipers

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
These are from Golden Mean Calipers in New Zealand. Great little artisan site. They are stainless steel, laser cut, and come with a wood and acrylic case (even the case is a work of art.

I always seem to have a need to bisect metal on many of my projects. This is just one way of doing it. Golden Mean is a little on the artsie side of fabrication, but these seem very well made.
bisecting.jpg

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I was doing some research into the fibonacci ratio and found the site for Golden Mean Calipers. I have built small parallelogram bisectors for adding indexed holes to telescoping parts before, but always wondered why no one made calipers like this. So when I saw they also made bisecting callipers, I bought a pair. They are really well made, and got here from New Zealand in just over a week.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wish I could find this website I was on (I spend waaaay too much time inernetting LOL). Anyway it was kind of a discovery of long lost tools like this used by some of the great artists & sculptors in Leonardo era. Like specialized dividers, 3D pantograph devices, turntables with scaling arm mechanisms, optical projection apparatus... Kind of gives us modern day, but largely brain dead Iphone gazers some insight how they accomplished such realistic statues, paintings etc. Who knows, there might be a market for modern replicas of this stuff.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
If you do find it Peter, please post. I'm already intrigued. If Leonardo had a Facebook page back then even I would be on social media. Well, maybe not.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
it looks like goldenmeancalipers.com is down at the moment... Can't wait to have a look at their site!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
DNS ? I'm on Shaw and can get there fine. I have a couple of sites Telus customers can get to that I can't through.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
OK so the problem wasn't DNS, but rather my VPN's destination address. They were simply rejecting my connection request. Changing countries did the trick...